Pesky birds...

• 20 Replies

Benandbill

Pesky birds...
« on: May 30, 2011, 19:29 »
... have ransacked our site and loads of people's cabbage has been eaten.  They've pulled up a few of my runner beans as well.   GGGgrrrrr, didn't have this problem last year!  >:(

daisy1990

Re: Pesky birds...
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 20:28 »
we seem to have lots more birds in the garden this year in general, including a pair of pheasants, one of which actually came out of our chicken coop today!
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

slowcompost

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 21:53 »
The only answer's to cover them up, wire netting or debri netting I find best.
As the great Percy Thrower used to say
" OI THINK THE ANSWER LIES IN THE SOIL"

mobilekat

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 22:10 »
I think most birds are finding this year a bit hard, the dry spring has reduced the numbers of edible insects, and our feeders are as busy now as they were in the winter.

So I think they are working on the 'If it fits in my beak its dinner' theory! :blink:
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 23:55 »
I think most birds are finding this year a bit hard, the dry spring has reduced the numbers of edible insects, and our feeders are as busy now as they were in the winter.

So I think they are working on the 'If it fits in my beak its dinner' theory! :blink:

I think you are right. I was followed around by a string of garden birds when I forked over the flower bed to plant up. The ground was dry several inches down yet still the poor little blighters searched ignoring me completely.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

grumpyoldb

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 00:02 »
Our plots have been infested by a gang of around 300 starlings for the past month. They have raided the ponds for tadpoles and managed to get stuck under most peoples netting. The stupid thing is, there are a few plots without netting but they don't seem to go for that.

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 00:05 »
Our plots have been infested by a gang of around 300 starlings for the past month. They have raided the ponds for tadpoles and managed to get stuck under most peoples netting. The stupid thing is, there are a few plots without netting but they don't seem to go for that.

Perhaps they've discovered that netting = something worth eating!  :(

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 06:04 »
There's been a pheasant rootling about in the carrots and swede etc. He just plonks himself there, and claws the ground until there's a dust bowl...

And to think I liked him earlier this year!

mike1987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 07:26 »
There's been a pheasant rootling about in the carrots and swede etc. He just plonks himself there, and claws the ground until there's a dust bowl...

And to think I liked him earlier this year!
id still like him......roast with all the trimmings

lancashiregardeninggal

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 09:05 »
I've been gardening and feeding the birds for years and all species seem to have done well this year and more seem to be nesting here too - hence they have caused more damage this year - but to have them all bring their young to my garden to feed is amazing and I can forgive them - just means more sowing and planting ::) :D
'Is All That We See Or Seem But A Dream Within A Dream'........Edgar Allan Poe

Endymion

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 23:35 »
I was followed around by a string of garden birds when I forked over the flower bed to plant up. The ground was dry several inches down yet still the poor little blighters searched ignoring me completely.

We've got a robin and a hen blackbird that seem to think we dig the ground just for them. They get so close that there's a risk of stepping back and standing on one of them. Neither of them seem to have any fear either, they'll both go into a weed bag and rummage around to see if there's anything edible in it, even if there are only a couple of things at the very bottom - and the other day they took it in turns to go underneath the shed, which is something I've never seen a bird do before.

As for the pigeons, they're bringing their youngsters along now - I'm sure it's to see if the whole family is heavy enough to sink the netting low enough for them to reach a feast!

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 00:24 »
I arrived for a flying visit to the plot today and noticed that the newly planted pea plants at the end of a long section of peas had been nibbled!

Rotten pigeons!!

I pulled the netting down lower and anchored it with tent pegs. No more encouraging pigeons to the bird table at home if they are going to follow me to the plot for their veg!  >:(

Gesar

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 00:40 »
Aye i think they been at my cabbage also i am unsure but will post a picture once ive been up tommorrow

Paul Plots

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 00:45 »
I'm just very grateful that birds haven't got very strong muscles - imagine if they could lift wire netting or pull up pegs holding the lighter plastic netting.  :blink:  :ohmy:

Fortunately a bit of carefully placed and anchored cheap netting will usually keep them out.  ;)

Benandbill

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 06:19 »
Well I popped most of the runner beans back in as they still had their roots, I went back over last night and it looks like they've left it alone.  Popped a few haricot beans that had been soaked in parafin a little while around the canes as well for back up in case the runners have had it.  Luckily I've still got potted cabbage that I haven't planted out yet as it might be a little late to start sowing more.

At least my peas are looking intact (famous last words?!?!)  :ohmy:

xx
Pesky rabbits

Started by Steveharford on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 04, 2015, 20:49
by Steveharford
xx
Pesky squirrels!

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 22, 2013, 17:42
by Mrs Bee
xx
Pesky rabbit

Started by STIG1963 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 10, 2010, 22:11
by sunshineband
smiley
Take that you pesky aphids

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 25, 2011, 21:11
by Lardman

Page created in 0.444 seconds with 27 queries.