Feather Problem

• 10 Replies

happychickens

Feather Problem
« on: September 05, 2007, 16:38 »
It seems I ever only come on line to ask for help, but there you go! guess thats what you are here for.  One of my own chickens for the last week or so to a varying degree has had at times a redder than normal bottom, (she does have problems laying eggs as at an early age she developed a rip in her insides where the eggs form) lately though she has around the feather folicles they can be normal to bright red in colour - any ideas?   Since a rogue chicken came in contact with them all about 2 months ago I have been trying to keep on top of red mite which is a struggle, hopefully this is nothing with lula :?  Thanks

wildeone

Feather Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 18:50 »
Just bring this back up to the top! Someone with knowledge should be along soon!! Do you have a picture?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Feather Problem
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 18:53 »
Not sure about that, Munty,Bodger or grannie might know.  But I treat for lice and mites  :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Feather Problem
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 21:04 »
The only other thing I can think of is, are they plucking each other?  Several of my ex batts have bald red bottoms, but I don't think they have lice or red mite, can't find any anywhere.

Mind you, I don't often see them feather pecking either, so they are obviously waiting until we are not looking!!!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Feather Problem
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 22:05 »
Could be that grannie.  I didn't think of that :roll:

muntjac

Feather Problem
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 22:34 »
cannibalism is a thing they do .gentian violet on it should help .treat treat treat for lice n mites both red and white n black.clean coops and use jeyes
still alive /............

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Feather Problem
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 22:38 »
What do you do Munty?spray the whole bottom?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Feather Problem
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2007, 22:39 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
gentian violet on it should help

For gentian violet read "Purple Spray" you can get it from the horsey shops.

It serves two functions: [list=1]
  • Antiseptic - preventing infection and aiding healing
  • Camouflage - hens peck at red areas the purple colour will make them unattractive.
  • [/list:o]

happychickens

Feather Problem
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 12:37 »
Hi - thanks very much for your replies but it has cured itself until a possible next time, as lula has a rip in her insides, where the eggs are formed, it seemed that an egg had fertilized itself inside her and because she is not good at getting eggs out a chick formed and was about 1.5 inches long, with the shell looking like cling film around the chick - poor lula, however she managed to get out whilst roosting one night so if the same happens again I will know that in essence she is egg bound and proceed accordingly. :roll:   Thanks

muntjac

Feather Problem
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 12:43 »
if she is carrying eggs with chicks inside her then you should have her culled as she will be getting all sorts of ilnesses including perotinitus if the egg ruptures . or keep her away from cockerals to prevent her being mated .maybe penning her and a couple mates up wil keep her a happy hen :)

happychickens

Feather Problem
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 12:50 »
Hi - cannot even consider culling her - she is much loved and a happy hen and I do keep a close eye on her for the very odd occasion she has become egg bound - as they are free ranging around the garden and lula is his favorite they both pine very badly when I have had to keep them apart so as long as I keep an eye on things and no suffering past an occasional hiccup they will be roaming for years to come, hopefully.  Thanks :)

xx
FEATHER PROBLEM

Started by JANEVANS02 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 22, 2009, 23:10
by JANEVANS02
xx
Feather problem

Started by stickywicket on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 30, 2009, 22:45
by redmolly
xx
Feather problem

Started by Bennett on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 24, 2009, 20:00
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Big feather pecking problem

Started by honeysuckle farm on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post December 12, 2008, 22:42
by sunshinemedic

Page created in 0.282 seconds with 28 queries.