ferrets should i be worried

• 15 Replies

dollybird

ferrets should i be worried
« on: May 19, 2011, 04:51 »
just found out our neighbours have got 2 ferrets. dont really no much about them. are they escape artist?should i be worried , i have got 8 ex batty girls since sept that are in a run but have run of garden when weather good. any advice welcome thanks

louiseb22

Re: ferrets should i be worried
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 07:05 »
Hi Dollybird
Ferrets are lovely creatures if handled properly and looked after, they are renowned for there ability to squeeze through the smallest gaps and given half the chance they would certainly attack a chicken, as its their natural instinct.

I kept ferrets for many years and never once had one escape from its hutch. as long as your neighbours ferrets are housed in a well made hutch that has no gaps or is easily opened then you should be fine.

Hope this helps and puts your mind at ease
1 Coral Nick, 1 Rhode Rock, 1 Light Sussex,  2 Speckledy, 1 Columbian blactail, 2 welsummer, 1 Columbine
and 18 ducks/drakes/ducklings mix xxx

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 07:13 »
I would echo Louise's comments, having kept both ferrets and chickens although we have neither currently. A ferret will try to escape from a hutch if it can and they are natural hunters, but if both are housed securely you shouldn't have problems.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

dollybird

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 21:19 »
thank you for your replies. they are in whot appears to be a old rabbit hutch, but i will just keep one eye on their garden as i go down to open up and i have moved my bench slightly so i have a clear veiw whilst having my chat with the girls, hopefully i might see any problems early on. oh and this is a silly question i think but can ferrets climb up and over a 3 ft panel fence? i did say i know nowt about ferrets!!!

Beakybird

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 22:13 »
It very much depends on how responsible your neighbours are. Should one get loose your hens wouldn't stand a chance. One of my hens was killed by a ferret and it was horrific. As you cannot control the behaviour of others it might be an idea to keep your girls in a ferret proof area, at least until you are 100% certain you can trust how your neighbours are with these creatures.

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 08:21 »
oh and this is a silly question i think but can ferrets climb up and over a 3 ft panel fence? i did say i know nowt about ferrets!!!

No it isn't a silly question and I'm afraid to say I would answer yes they can. They are very good at climbing and they can jump.

evie2

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 15:40 »
Our ferrets loved to climb, up fences, furniture, trees, people you name it, they climbed it.  They're also very good at digging and getting through the smallest of small openings.

You could go round your garden filling in any ferret size gaps though ;)
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

mobilekat

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 16:24 »
To make your garden ferret proof may take a while forever.
As they are great little beasties who love to clamber over/through etc.

May be worth next time you chat to your new neighbours to just mention you have the chooks, possibly offer 1/2 dozen eggs. that way they know how much you love your hens and how important they are to you, then you can say that they are often out in the day, and that if they are letting the ferrets out for a run would they mind warning you/or if one did escape.

On the same note they may be useful to know if you develop a rodent issue!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 16:30 »

The rodents are likely to avoid the area as they will smell the ferrets...

bramford

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 19:47 »
this might be a silly answer but why not just go round next door and explain your concerns that way you can both feel much better as i'm sure they would feel bad if one got out and did something nasty to one of your chooks 

8doubles

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 20:06 »
To make your garden ferret proof may take a while forever.
As they are great little beasties who love to clamber over/through etc.

May be worth next time you chat to your new neighbours to just mention you have the chooks, possibly offer 1/2 dozen eggs. that way they know how much you love your hens and how important they are to you, then you can say that they are often out in the day, and that if they are letting the ferrets out for a run would they mind warning you/or if one did escape.

As above and if you have any cracked or soft eggs the ferrets will love them.
If the neighbour is a rabbiter  they may be of help if one of the hens has to be culled.

evie2

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 13:31 »
If the neighbour is a rabbiter  they may be of help if one of the hens has to be culled.

??? :blink:

evie2

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 22:06 »
I know that ::) I just couldn't work out if they or the ferrets would be useful in dispatching an ill bird :(

I loved our ferrets, all 8 of them, still miss their cheeky ways and their chiripping :happy: 

dollybird

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 23:21 »
i am on friendlyish with neighbour and she has eggs of me already, i tried to have a chat with her but when i said i had seen the ferrets and and i told her i had never seen any before she said her sons had got them so  that if any of my girls got over the fence {never have} then the ferrets would get chicken for tea then laughed .  we have checked fence and hen house for holes all seems secure and we are putting exxtra chicken wire on run sides and bottom.

8doubles

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 09:11 »
I know that ::) I just couldn't work out if they or the ferrets would be useful in dispatching an ill bird :(

I loved our ferrets, all 8 of them, still miss their cheeky ways and their chiripping :happy: 

If the neighbour works the ferrets (rabbiting) then he/she will be used to dispatching small animals quickly and cleanly.
More humane than a journey in a box to the vets, the body can be used as ferret food and a bottle of ale should do for payment .

xx
Ferrets

Started by Viv on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post February 26, 2008, 08:49
by Aunt Sally
xx
I'm still worried

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 17:54
by kimT
xx
very worried

Started by naturesparadise on The Hen House

35 Replies
Last post March 28, 2008, 18:49
by naturesparadise
xx
Should I be worried???

Started by mo-jo on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 04, 2010, 16:16
by kazzii2010

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 29 queries.