Planting radish with parsnip.

• 5 Replies

viettaclark

Planting radish with parsnip.
« on: May 18, 2011, 23:45 »
Thought this was a super idea....quick cropping radish and I know where the parsnips are!
Actual practice....I was pulling up baby parsnips with the radishes even though I was EXTREMELY careful!
Hope they'll regrow....just bunged them back in......

Salmo

Re: Planting radish with parsnip.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 23:53 »
You can avoid that by sowing the radishes thinner. Keep in mind that the radishes are there as a marker and any crop is a bonus.

Some people station plant the parsnips i.e. put a pinch of seed at 6 inch spaces, and then put the radish seeds in between.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 05:37 »
I just station plant the parsnips & mark the row with any old stick.

Werks fer me.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 08:14 »
Thought this was a super idea....quick cropping radish and I know where the parsnips are!
Actual practice....I was pulling up baby parsnips with the radishes even though I was EXTREMELY careful!
Hope they'll regrow....just bunged them back in......

Agree entirely; doesn't work for me - even sown thinly the radishes grow far too quickly and strongly and swamp the poor little emerging parsnips. All you have achieved is the introduction of yet another "weed" to compete with your precious row of parsnips!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 09:39 »
I use this method with all sorts of things, not just parsnips, and it works well if you don't sow too thickly.  I tend to use spring onions or rocket as I am not fond of radish  :)  I see it more as intercropping rather than row marking but it serves both purposes.  I have carrots with spring onions at the moment and the onions will soon be ready for picking

Don't be put off if you don't succeed first time. Where would we be in gardening if we did that!  :)

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 11:22 »
Two other methods is to either pre-germinate your snip seed so its up a lot quicker or do your drill a little deeper, sprinkle some bag compost in the drill, pop seed on compost and cover with the bag compost, that way you will have a drill that is darker in colour then soil around, you can also as suggested station sow by dibbing your hole, filling it compost and covering with the compost, again you can then see where you have sown your seed.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

xx
Parsnip and radish question

Started by Pony Girl on Grow Your Own

42 Replies
Last post December 07, 2013, 13:20
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
Radish and Lettuce planting

Started by Tommy54321 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 28, 2021, 09:13
by DD.
xx
Planting parsnip seed

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 23, 2012, 07:40
by Oliveview
xx
Parsnip seedlings/parsnip plants ?

Started by alan/gill on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 25, 2019, 11:44
by theothermarg

Page created in 0.414 seconds with 31 queries.