chicken prolapse

• 21 Replies

stef Batterbee

chicken prolapse
« on: May 18, 2011, 22:09 »
With much thanks to "Joyfull" I have just carried out operation prolapse. With the help of Germaloid and rubber gloves I have pushed the prolapse back in which was not as bad as I expected and my girl didnt seem to mind a bit! Will keep a close eye on her now and repeat as necessary. I am hopeful of a happy ending as she is still eating, drinking and happily running about with the other girls, will keep you posted thogh...

Carla

• Experienced Member
Re: chicken prolapse
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 22:33 »
I treated a prolapse a couple of months ago using the germaloids method. It worked a treat. I kept applying it though (maybe a bit ott!!), twice a day, every day for 2 weeks, just to make sure everything tightned back up. The prolapse kept coming back out, but shrank until it stayed in.
Once it had stayed in for a day, every morning I sat her in warm water for 5 minutes so she relaxed so she could poo without effort. This may sound a bit odd but I noticed that she really had to strain as her muscles were no good and it looked as if it was causing her major discomfort to go. It wasnt a pleasant experience for either of us, but 3 months on and she's fighting fit, in fact, my other 2 ex-batts have finished laying, but she's still laying every day.
Good luck with your girlie xx
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

stef Batterbee

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 23:31 »
Thank you Carla for your encouraging story, was your girl still laying over the period you were treating her?

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 11:13 »
Nothing I did seemed to stop her laying, kept her in the dark, stopped the layers pellets, but she kept laying...which didnt help matters. I slowed her down, but she kept laying the whole time. Thats one of the reasons I kept up the germaloids like a maniac :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 11:23 »
Will try to store this information in my memorybank for future use, (it is either a bit full or has a leak sometimes).   :wacko:
 Hopefully won't need it but will be ready to spring into action if any of my girls need treatment. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 12:06 »
Will try to store this information in my memorybank for future use, (it is either a bit full or has a leak sometimes).   :wacko:
 Hopefully won't need it but will be ready to spring into action if any of my girls need treatment. 

(Famous Gary Larsen cartoon)

ANHBUC

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 13:42 »
thinks "what was I going to post???"     :unsure::blink: :wacko: :wub: :blush: :tongue2:

stef Batterbee

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 17:53 »
LOL!

evie2

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 18:00 »
Bookmark it :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

ANHBUC

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 19:02 »
Bookmark it :D

There always has to be one clever cloggs.  :tongue2:   :D

What was it I was going to do?!!!  :unsure:

evie2

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 19:21 »
Yep, and that would be me today :D it wont last though :lol:

stef Batterbee

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 22:52 »
update...just did the bath and blow dry (she is enjoying it now) and the prolapse was back but not as bad! did the germaloid and marigold trick with no objections from the girl at all, could it be she knows I am trying to help? Still eating, drinking and running up and down the garden full pelt!!!

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 22:58 »
Flo didnt seem to mind me helping her either. Until she had it, she was the most anti-social chicken I had. Weird isnt it :) She's now REALLY friendly and tame, the nicest one out of all of them!!
One other thing I did and forgot to mention, was I sprayed her whole vent area purple, just in case the others caught sight of it and tried pecking at it. The purple spray is an antiseptic too, so helped keep her clean.
So glad she's still doing well and fair play to you for putting the extra effort in. Many wouldnt bother going to such extremes for 'just a chicken' :( xx

Beakybird

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 08:21 »
A prolapse can be remedied by an operation by a good vet. As stopping her laying would help her, she could have a hormone implant which should last several months.

ANHBUC

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 11:58 »
Thats good news stef, keep us up to date on how she is getting on.

xx
Chicken with prolapse?

Started by Junie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 21, 2011, 17:40
by Junie
xx
Post Prolapse non laying chicken

Started by louisep on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 22, 2010, 11:28
by Jeanette
xx
prolapse why?

Started by dollybird on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 25, 2010, 19:37
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Prolapse or is it ???

Started by Vember on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 16, 2009, 13:16
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 36 queries.