Damaged leg

• 6 Replies

viettaclark

Damaged leg
« on: May 18, 2011, 12:53 »
Lulu has damaged a leg by flying up and knocking it on a chair in a moment of hysteria!
She is not putting weight on it at all but it seems to work ok as she lowers and raises it occasionally so would it be broken?
She is eating and drinking and flew out of the coop for treats this lunchtime then collapsed again. She uses her wing for support and shuffles about on her tum but mostly just lies there.
She did it yesterday morning and managed to get up into the coop to lay an egg!
Last night she collapsed in the coop doorway and the younger ones piled in on top of her with bums sticking out of the pophole so I had to adjust them all to close it!!
Should I give it some time? I tried to look but she flapped so much I was worried about hurting her more.....

Kathie

• Experienced Member
Re: Damaged leg
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 13:05 »
Hi, I'm no expert but I would take her to the vet.  Good luck
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

PaulineM

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 13:34 »
Hi
She could have dislocated it, I agree a trip to the vet by the sounds of it  :(
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

Beano

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 13:35 »
I would also take her to the vet, if only for some painkillers. Meanwhile make sure that she does not have any opportunities to climb or hop onto anything, in case she falls and makes things worse. If you can separate her within view of the others and keep her on level ground and calm all the better. Hopefully time and rest and painkillers will soon get her on the mend.
El.

orchardlady

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 21:10 »
If you can gently take her out of the hen house this evening just as she has retired for the night. Hens become quite docile at this time of night. Hold her wings firmly by her sides and gentle turn her upside down like an up turned beetle laying her on the ground. She should be absolutely still and not panic now. Carefully manipulate her  hurt leg and then her good leg, feel with your finger right up the leg to the joint. If you can feel a grinding feeling she may well have broken her hip bone. If that is the case a swift dispatch is probably the kindest thing to do. Of course I very much hope this is not the case and that she has just pulled a muscle and makes a full recovery.

Orchardlady.

viettaclark

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 22:16 »
Thank you so much Orchardlady.
I have given her a good feel and can't feel grinding anywhere. That's not to say it's not broken but the leg isn't hotter than the other and moves properly when I extend it. The knee joint seems swollen though and I'm hoping and praying she's strained it.
She got up into the coop again tonight and managed to move across the rungs to her corner. She has eaten and drunk today (I also gave her the worms I dug up when doing my runners trench!)
It must be painful but I'm going to give it a day or two of supervision (luckily I'm at home) and see if she improves.
The tip you gave about upturned beetles was fantastic! This is the way forward for checking over the more skittish chooks.

viettaclark

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 22:48 »
Just to let everybody know that Lulu has begun to hop on her good leg and puts down the duff one a bit and tests her foot.
We have had a tummy-wriggle-flap movement for a week (Lord knows how she managed to get up and down the ladder....flapped her wings!) but I kept the faith because she was still eating well and aware of everything going on.
So...a sprain of some sort but hopefully on the mend!
I am so relieved!
Thanks for your kind words and advice.

xx
Damaged Comb

Started by dalesman on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 11, 2009, 05:44
by hillfooter
xx
Damaged toe on a duck

Started by animal mad on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2011, 06:56
by joyfull
xx
chook with damaged nail

Started by wendy on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 18, 2008, 22:59
by Fat Hen
xx
hatching duck with damaged beak

Started by duck girl on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 17, 2011, 13:23
by joyfull

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 28 queries.