Pecking even with bumper bit on!

• 5 Replies

MrsTruper

Pecking even with bumper bit on!
« on: May 17, 2011, 11:38 »
Got two girls living together, one a persistent bully and feather pecker, leaving the other girl with large red patches on neck, chest and knickerline! The bully has even worked out how to peck and pull feathers with a bumper bit on.

Have tried:
Anti peck spray
Protein treats to up % protein in diet
Separation for about 10 days (in sight)
Anti peck ring and bumper bit - my last resort

Bully in fabulous condition so don't think it is diet (they are on organic layers pellets, then a tiny bit of corn to scratch for, and a few scraps/greens from kitchen).  No mites or lice present, have checked them thoroughly.  They get out to free range for about one hour a day and are in their eglu with 2m run rest of the time.  

Is there anything else to try apart from 'dispatching' the bully?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 11:43 by MrsTruper »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Pecking even with bumper bit on!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 11:46 »
There is a product called ukadex which I know Grannie Annie uses. It is dark brown and smells but generally seems to work ok with her birds  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

MrsTruper

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 16:27 »
Thank you for your tip. When I used the Nettex anti peck spray it made the girl so fearful because of the frequent spraying (still runs away from us) and ragged 'cos she couldn't preen properly (could taste it).  Will this happen again with Ukadex?  Thanks.

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 21:28 »
Could you set up a bit more space for them when they're in the run? I think bullying can often be caused by them just having to spend too much time too close together.
It might be worth trying just letting the victim out to fr and keeping the bully in to bring her down a peg or two as well as giving the poor bullied one a break.
I'm surprised you've still got the problem though - when I put a beak bit on my bully she still tried to peck at the others but couldn't totally close her beak to get a grip on a feather to pull it out anymore. They soon learnt she was all threat and no peck!
Are you sure it's in completely - the end of the bit should sit right into the nostril.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 21:33 »
UKADEX is very smelly and very brown, and she won't like the smell, neither will her mate, but it stops our persistent bullies.  It doesn't always work with the turkeys though!!   Perhaps they've got no sense of smell??  :lol:

It does stain the white girls quite heavily, but it eventually wears off.

MrsTruper

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 14:14 »
Thanks for your replies everyone.  The bumper bit is definitely in correctly, she is just a crafty so-and-so.  It took her 2 weeks to work out how to peck with it, but she can't peck as effectively.  I have tried separation in the run during the day but at night when I have to put them together she makes up for not pecking during the day!  

If the Ukadex fails, is it OK (for the victim) to live with an ongoing low-moderate level of pecking (i.e. no blood) or is it considered to affect their quality of life too much?  Would I have to re-home the feather pecker?

xx
Feather Pecking - Bit or Bumper

Started by OpiumEater on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 23, 2011, 19:53
by OpiumEater
xx
bumper crop!!!

Started by psipower on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 26, 2007, 20:17
by muntjac
xx
Bumper crop

Started by too many girls on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 11, 2008, 21:52
by too many girls
xx
Pecking me!

Started by camelliagirl on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 18, 2010, 10:12
by Sassy

Page created in 0.272 seconds with 28 queries.