Honeysuckle (unless someone can recommend something better)

• 14 Replies

debih

• Experienced Member
Last week I pulled up our passion flower - this winter killed it off - so I am now looking for a replacement but not really sure what.  Was thinking honeysuckle but am open to suggestions.

I want to grow it up the wall outside the front door.  It has only a small planting area (about the size of a medium sized pot) but the soil goes down very deep.  The front of the house gets the sun from early in the morning until around 3pm and then stays in shade.  It is pretty sheltered to the wind and elements.

I want something that will have flowers on at some point, something that will grow up the wall but not into the mortar and something that I can stop from growing by the time it reaches just above the front door (I don't want it to take over the whole house!).

Any recommendations and also when should I plant?  Have I left it too late for this year to get a plant from the garden centre to transplant?
I always find that work gets in the way of life.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Honeysuckle sounds good but can get a bit untidy/unruly, I have it growing up one side of an oriental style arch around a gate and you tend to have to duck around it and I'm quite frequently cutting leaders off. ::) I have a couple of climbing hydrangeas growing by trellis panels at my front door. These can get big but can be kept trimmed easily. I find it tries to throw branches out from the base so I keep them cut and it keeps a good tidy shape.

:)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 12:54 by argyllie »
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Lardman

I have an akebia quinata in the same sort of conditions.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Not much matches the heady scent of honeysuckle but it could be a bit vigorous for your situation. If you do go with it I would recommend "Halliana" variety simply because it doesn't seem to attract greenfly infestations like the popular "Belgica" (there are many others to choose from though.)

Another possibility could be jasmine (winter or summer flowering; again, many to choose from.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sion01

I had a small climbing rose in a large pot by the front door(before my better half decided she didn't like it)I loved it.It was called warm welcome(very apt by a front door).It's not a monster but grows to about 7 foot tall and was really healthy and free flowering here.Its flowers are a stunning orange-vermilion with a slight fragerance but with a lot of flowers the scent was fantastic.The flowers haven't got much form more of an open habit and the foliage is a lusterouse dark green.I really loved it.It can also be sold under the name 'chewizz' but I prefer warm welcome.I shall be sneaking another one or two into the back garden when the oppertunity arises.

debih

• Experienced Member
Thanks for that.  I will go to the garden centre and investigate my options.   :)

Goosegirl

A small climbing rose, or one like Gertrude Jeykyll that can be trained up a wall with support would be manageable, as would a clematis intertwining up it. Another shrub is Pyracantha which you can train upwards on a support and cut any outward branches off. It is evergree, has white flowers in spring and orange or red berries in autumn.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

catllar

Trachespermum Jasminoides (star jasmine) Evergreen, highly scented flowers (here they are out now but I guess it's later in UK) Not too rampant - I've got one growing in a restricted spot and it's now about 7ft tall and a metre wide.  Admittedly, I've also got a couple of these in a larger space and they have got over 20ft and cover the house wall, but they can be cut back)

Paul Plots

Clematis montana might be worth investigating - large spread, some are scented and all grow rapidly but quite easy to keep in trim.

Elizabeth = white
Rubens = pink

Several more with slightly differing habits. All need a cool, moist root run but like the sun.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

sion01

I also had a clematis armandii growing over an arch in the back garden.Evergreen with sweetly scented white flowers in spring.It did grow so large that the arch colapsed in a gale though ::)

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
Re: Honeysuckle (unless someone can recommend something better)
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 12:57 »
There are some wonderful Clematis out there!  The ones with 'Montana' in their names will grow to a profuse showy abundance of flowers in late spring.  They're easy to control, like their roots shaded and aren't too fussy.  I swear by them!  The garden centres have a wide variety.  Go for the ones with a lot of small flowers on the label - not the ones with a few 'big' ones.
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

debih

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 14:42 »
Thanks everyone. 

I have decided to go with clematis.  I just need to decide which type now and go and find a garden centre that sells the one I want!

And thanks for the tip LRH - I now know what to look out for on the label.   :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 00:52 »
Remember - cool, moist root run with some shade at the very base (a few bricks or a roof tile would do) but not water-logged soil. Head in the sun.  ;)

Scented varieties would be nice. Montana is a very speedy grower.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 12:48 »
Clematis is a lovely choice.  I have about 30 around my house.   When you make your choice, look out for how they need to by pruned,  the big showy ones flower on new shoots, and need cutting back to 2 new buds each year.  Those that don't need a hard prune, can look a bit untidy when the leaves turn brown.  I spend hours cutting all the old brown stuff away, which can be quite time consuming.  
If the label doesn't tell you about pruning, go to the G/centres books and look it up.

I have just bought a newish variety of honeysuckle. 'Lornicera Henryi' it is evergreen, with very scented flowers and large glossy leaves, the new growth is copper tinted, and grows to about 10  feet.

Whatever choice you make, good luck.  It is always so exciting to start a new plant. regards, Mrs Bouquet
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 16:36 by mrs bouquet »
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Paul Plots

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 20:54 »
When I first married we bought a Clematis Montana Rubens and it grew all along the fences of our tiny garden and over a newly bought shed. It was beautiful.

xx
Honeysuckle

Started by Riverbecameroad on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post March 28, 2012, 22:58
by Riverbecameroad
xx
honeysuckle

Started by dmg on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post November 10, 2013, 22:49
by mumofstig
xx
Honeysuckle help please

Started by Blackpool rocket on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post February 15, 2017, 13:42
by Blackpool rocket
xx
Honeysuckle

Started by RigsVilleBird on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post November 14, 2011, 18:41
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 29 queries.