Orphan duckling

• 19 Replies

Squiggly

• Experienced Member
Orphan duckling
« on: May 13, 2011, 18:19 »
Hi

Well I found a baby duckling earlier wandering around (well trying to he kept getting tired after a few bursts of runs) chirping loudly for his mom who unfortunately was no where around. It was an open area so I don't know how she lost him! We searched around for his mom but she was no where around (Im hoping the worst hadn't happened to her)  so we brought him home.

Now I only have chicks and chickens and have never looked after ducks before, I know he needs heat as he is very tiny, luckliy my cochins have just come off heat so he has their electric hen, a bowl of food and a chick drinker.

Is there anything else I need to do for him? He doesn't seem to be getting the hang of eating or drinking, can anyone give me some advice to help him with that please?

Oh and my other half has fallen in love with him  :nowink:

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
Re: Orphan duckling
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 18:40 »
No advice but I know a lady who did the same and now her duck thinks that she's his mum. Very cute!! he follows her everywhere and tries to get into the house constantly, and pecks her legs when he wants attention.
Good luck!!!
4 Dogs: Stanley, Oscar, Borris and Scraps, 8 chickens: Prada, Mulberry, Alessi, Apple, Dior, Bobbi, Eve and Fendi, 2 Guinea Pigs: Rupert and Milo, 3 Rabbits: Louis, Daisy and Charlie 2 Fish: Sandy and Pebbles, 6 Quail

Springlands

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 18:45 »
I would suggest that you try to contact a local wildlife centre or the RSPCA for advice.

Squiggly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 19:04 »
I can contact work (animal centre) tomorrow as we keep ducks there, Ive just never personally been involved with bringing them up from being hatched, so I thought Id get a bit of advice from the helpful lot here as I know some do keep ducks.

Mulberry - that sounds lovely  :) I bet the lady loves it and thank you for the good luck  :)

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 20:02 »
I once spent a few hours fly fishing with a mallard duckling in my pocket , mum and the rest of the brood had disappeared and there were crows and magpies about (plus a jack russell with evil intent) . The duckling went to sleep in the warm pocket and was sent scurrying after mum when she eventually reappeared .
If you see the duck later you can reunite. :)

orchardlady

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 21:42 »
To get him to drink and eat try dabbing his bill into the water and for food try picking up small pieces of chick crumb and dribbling it back into the bowl. Hopefully he'll soon get the idea. Ducks cannot count further than one so if they have 16 ducklings they'll not start to worry until they have none!

Squiggly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 07:59 »
Lol Orchard Lady I never knew they couldn't count further than one! That does explain why they lose so many doesn't it.

A duck by us last year walked over a drain with her ducklings and promptly lost them down the drain, or so someone told me when I walked past and she was looking down the drain quacking! I had to call my other half to help me lift the drain cover so I could lean down and lift them back out.

Well Quackers (his name for now) is doing great, eating and drinking fine now  :) We went back to where we found him a few times and wated about 25 mins each time, asked a couple of passers by if they had seen or heard a duck walking around but nothing  :(

So I guess we are his new mom and dad now, sad because he has lost his proper Mom but hopefully we can do a good job for him  :) And hopefully he will get on ok with our chickens!

Ill have to post some pics up soon

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 08:03 »
the duckling really needs another duck of similar size and age. Ducks like chickens are social creatures, please do ask around locally to see if anybody has another orphaned duckling.
Staffies are softer than you think.

hamstergbert

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 08:31 »
Since you are now his de facto parent/guardian and responsible for his future I recommend that (if you like orange-based sauces etc) when he gets big enough you simply put his name down for 'eaten'.......

coat being gotten
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

Sassy

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 08:32 »
If you are feeding him chick crumb do make sure it does not contain ACS - anti-coccidiostat. Sorry not sure about spelling!! It's not good for them. Good luck. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Squiggly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 09:21 »
Joyful - Already started searching

Sassy - It doesn't contain ACS

Thanks for the advice and the couple of good luck messages

orchardlady

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 10:39 »
When I first got three ducklings that were about 4 weeks old I was told not to allow them to get into water because as they don't have a mum to keep them warm they can get chilled. If possible make his water so he can get his head in only (I used weld mesh over a square container with a big stone in the bottom to stop them tipping it over). Keep the water like this until he has 'feathered' up. It might be worth looking about at poultry suppliers for a duckling, they are usually only maybe 50p-£1 unsexed (usually sexed and boys though). I'm glad to hear he is eating and drinking now. Best of luck you will soon fall in love with your new charge.

Orchardlady

Squiggly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 13:48 »
Really having problems finding a duckling near me!  Does anyone know anywhere in west norfolk?

Thanks for the advice Orchard Lady, he can't get into his drinker so I have no worries about that, do you know how old they have to be before they can start having a paddle in the bath?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 16:35 »
have you heard of East Anglia pets 4 life?
Try joining this:-

http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/EastAnglia-pets4life/

and post a plea on there either for another orphan or to see if anybody has young dudklings who could raise it for you  :)

Squiggly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 16:59 »
Hi

Yes I've been on there but have come across a few animal keepers than aren't great unfortunately so id rather stay off there.We have some ducklings hatching in the incubator at work in a week I was just hoping to find him a friend before then  ;)

xx
Orphan chicken (kind of!)

Started by Mulberry1990 on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post April 08, 2011, 19:45
by daisy1990
xx
Introducing orphan chicks to the flock

Started by jo40 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 21, 2009, 19:27
by jo40
xx
Possible duckling

Started by dkelly on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 12, 2007, 13:11
by slowef
xx
DUCKLING

Started by WR1 on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post July 05, 2008, 20:47
by WR1

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 30 queries.