Rhubarb stalks falling

• 7 Replies

nemie

Rhubarb stalks falling
« on: May 07, 2011, 16:15 »
Once again I have come across problems with growing Rhubarb, I understand not to pick the stalks the first year as this would weaken the plant for the rest of its life.

My problem is with this weather we are having, I grew some very nice looking Rhubarb plants six in all, and up until few days ago all was well, but now the problem I am having is that my stalks are falling off from the crowns, huge leafs nice fat stalks.

So are the plants becoming weak now because of this?, and where have I gone wrong, I dug the crowns in about 3 inches from the get go, and I feel it should have been a lot deeper, around a foot deep maybe?

Nikkithefoot

Re: Rhubarb stalks falling
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 16:43 »
Is it the outer, older stems that are falling over? The younger newer stems should be coming up and be firmer. If this is the case then don't panic, the older stems an leaves do die off as newer ones grow.

If however everything is wilting it might be the dry weather has affected it in which case give it plenty of water and it should perk up.

I dug my crowns up to split them a couple of years or so ago, I left a few bits lying around over winter, and they started into growth in the spring despite no soil or water at the roots..............indestructible stuff is rhubarb
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

nemie

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 19:14 »
Yes it was the outer heavy ones that were falling off, I have since dug them up and buried them deeper, they look bit sad for it but I am hoping they pick up and start to grow as before.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 19:21 »
I think you've gone the wrong way there, the top of the crown should just be below the surface. I suspect it's a moisture issue.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 21:45 »
My thoughts exactly DD - they need more water in this dry time. Normally they wouldn't, but this year is unusual.

radiohead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 22:03 »
Ours is a very windy plot and some of the stems on ours get blown around  so much they break at the base...they always recover though......a thick mulch of manure works wonders.

JohnB47

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 22:27 »
I've noticed in my two years of growing rhubarb that they simply go on pause when there is a prolonged dry period. So no new growth coming from the centre and the existing stalks and leaves gradually droop. I try my best to water at this time - it's never enough but hopefully it helps until the rain comes.

It's been raining here now for two days, so I'm expecting my rhubarb to burst into action again.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 23:37 »
While the weather has been so hot, my rhubarb collapses and wilts every day, but when I give them a good watering they immediately stand up again.

xx
GREEN STALKS ON MY RHUBARB

Started by andy dewar on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 02, 2013, 19:32
by Buddleja
xx
Rasberry Stalks

Started by Allotment Jon on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 11, 2009, 17:11
by Dominic
xx
Sweetcorn stalks

Started by rogertb on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 19, 2019, 16:40
by JayG
xx
Brassica stalks help please!

Started by mooncatsmum on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 08, 2013, 09:00
by Growster...

Page created in 0.83 seconds with 36 queries.