Ceramic Bladed Knives

• 21 Replies

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
    • Recipes
Ceramic Bladed Knives
« on: May 06, 2011, 23:45 »
Are the best things since sliced bread! For an ultra sharp cooking knife I'm finding them hard to beat. We recently purchased 2 from Aldi and the small one (4" blade) seems to be in continuous use. :D :D :D
Val
Recipes Galore!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Ceramic Bladed Knives
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 23:51 »
Thanks Val, I did wonder if they were any good!

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
    • Recipes
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 00:01 »
Wonderful. To be honest John picked them up on an "offer" day and I was rather sceptic - until I tried them!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 00:03 »
Brian would still be sceptical!  Not as good as my butcher's knives, he'd say!  :lol:

MoreWhisky

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 00:42 »
Im with Brian they surely cant be as good as my butchers knifes! can they?
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 00:47 »
Im with Brian they surely cant be as good as my butchers knifes! can they?

I've been tempted a few times, but from what I've read they have problems with impact damage, small chips after catching a bone or even a seed.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 00:54 »
I have never seen ceramic bladed knives; will have to look out for them...

I'm currently enamoured with my knew Ikea knives which are the sharpest kitchen knives I have ever known!! they're so sharp that you can cut yourself and not notice until the thin trickle of blood comes or you get something in the cut and it makes it sting!

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 01:15 »
Having been both a butcher and a fishmonger in the past I am the worlds fussiest person when it comes to knives.

In my opinion the ceramic ones are good for a while but they do lose their edge and are not easy to sharpen.

I don't think you can go wrong with a High Carbon content Stainless Steel knife.  They are easy to keep sharp and are very tough and hardwearing.

Strangely enough we bought a new complete kitchen knife set yesterday whilst in Sheffield.

10, 8, 6, and 4 inch cooks knives
Filleting knife
Serated Utility knife
Carving knife
Bread knife
plus a new steel and a new knife block.

I'm not looking forward to the bill though, just over £300.00 :(

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 08:12 »

In my opinion the ceramic ones are good for a while but they do lose their edge and are not easy to sharpen.

This was going to be part of my question, but I'd still like to know how do you sharpen them?

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Lardman

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 11:53 »
This was going to be part of my question, but I'd still like to know how do you sharpen them?

"Unlike traditional steel cutlery, ceramic knives generally do not need to be sharpened at all. However, if you would like to have your Kyocera knives sharpened, they can be sent to the manufacturer for sharpening. "

From the Kyocera website. http://www.metrokitchen.com/about_kyocera

I have and 8inch Sabatier chefs knife and a good steel, I use it for everything from cutting bread to slicing the roast. It does make me wonder how places like Arguuuus sell full blocks for less than I paid for a single knife though  :blink:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 12:50 »
It does make me wonder how places like Arguuuus sell full blocks for less than I paid for a single knife though

I paid loadsamoney! for a Sabatier 10in cooks knife and a filleting knife in 1969 and they're still going strong  :)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 13:04 »

"Unlike traditional steel cutlery, ceramic knives generally do not need to be sharpened at all. However, if you would like to have your Kyocera knives sharpened, they can be sent to the manufacturer for sharpening. "

From the Kyocera website. http://www.metrokitchen.com/about_kyocera

Thanks for that info. :) I have a good quality steel knife too, but I'd still be interested to see one of these in real life...

catllar

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2011, 14:37 »
I am always buying new knives. I go through them at only a slightly slower rate than saucepans! I can even ruin Sabatiers which what I prefer because they are nicely weighted.  On a recent holiday we met a chef who uses the enormous Japanese cleaver knives for almost everything and I thought about that but perhaps I'll give ceramic a try. I've been converted to ceramic lined frypans in place of Teflon, so who knows?

mike1987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 09:00 »
ivw got a pair of ceramic knives and they are ok ive had them a few years and there starting to get a little dull time to get new ones i think as profesnial sharpening service is more than the knives.
as for "normal" knives i use either global of victorinox and would recomend these two brands to anyone

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 12:56 »
Other thing with ceramics, is whilst they can be sharp, and do not wear (thus blunten) very easily - they do not have very good toughness.  I.e. shock loading like dropping them can lead them to shatter.

Especially if you get a little defect in there like a chip in the blade!

Go for a good quality steel knife and it will last for many years.
I hate signatures but love irony

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 30 queries.