My babies are here...am I doing everything right now?? with pics :)

• 9 Replies

Carla

• Experienced Member
Collected my 7 week old babies today, a speckeldy and a bluebelle, they are gorgeous, quite friendly and VERY noisy :) They are in the large rabbit cage in my laundry for now. They have water, growers and the lady I had them off said wait until they're 10 weeks before putting them where the others can see them. So I'll sort a section of the run out for them in a week or so, until then, can I let them go outside, using the top of the cage as a secure run for them? Is there anything else I should be doing?? Do they need grit and shell yet and when should I worm them? Sorry to keep asking all these questions :/
chicks.jpg
chicks 2.jpg
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 21:22 by Carla »
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

gracie

• Experienced Member
Re: My babies are here...am I doing everything right now??
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 19:55 »
I'm only new to this but I cant see what delaying letting the chickens see each other will achieve. I can understand not putting them in together, but would have thought that the quicker they see each other they quicker they will get used to each other.  Someone will be along later to advise. Good luck with them

bantam novice

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 20:07 »
How lovely  :)  How about some photos?  :D
I am only just starting to get to grips with chicks myself.  My broody bantam mother does all the work.  I just supply food water and shelter!  They are a week and a half old, their run is in sight of the other bantams and, yes, the chicks make a lot of noise!
Good luck and keep us posted.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 20:07 »
Well thats what I thought too! I was all set to let them reside alongside my other 3, but the lady telling me that has thrown me somewhat?? They were living in a cage in a stable with big chicken pecking about inside, so it's not as if they're not used to seeing other chickens. Puzzled??

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 21:18 »
Carla, I am always on here pestering the regulars for answers, some things you need proper advice for.  There again, everything you do, you do for the good of your chickens, so I think if you follow your instinct most of the time you can't go wrong and if things arent working well then change them. Still come back on here for reassurance, I do and they haven't got fed up with me YET !!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
At 7 weeks our chicks were over in the big house, with adjacent runs with hens in one and a lavendar araucana cockerel in the other.  nearly 3 weeks later, they are fine.

Can't see why she said to wait until they are 10 weeks.  I'd wait until they were about 14 weeks to actually introduce them to the others, but the sooner they get used to each other through a fence or whatever the better.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
As for your other questions, yes they will need hard grit available, but no they won't need shell grit.  If they are out on the ground they will find their own hard grit, but in their cage you could just put some in a dish for them to pick at.

I presume the feed is medicated for coccidiosis?  Once they are exposed to the soil in their new home cocci will become a risk so something to be aware of.

bantam novice

Lovely pics, Carla,
I would agree with the other posters that you are doing OK with them.  Good Luck and keep us posted  :)

Casey76

i agree with the others.  If you have a separate hutch and run, get them outside now ;)

MrsTruper

Just a thought - Possibly if your established chooks saw them too soon they would see they were youngsters, rather than in a few weeks when they were larger and would be closer to a grown-up size.  It might help get the chooks on a more equal footing if when they are introduced they are all more equal in size.  I'm not a pro but I have had bullying problems with my chooks so anything you can do to prevent this starting up would be worth it.

xx
moving time for babies?...and some pics

Started by chooknewbie on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 11, 2008, 07:30
by chooknewbie
xx
Brinsea Mini Incubator advice - Babies! (pics)

Started by chuckie.egg on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 02, 2009, 17:38
by Foxy
xx
my new babies

Started by mumof4 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 26, 2008, 09:52
by mumof4
xx
6 new babies

Started by chelle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 03, 2007, 04:55
by chicksforkicks

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 37 queries.