Goosberry problem

• 3 Replies

bigben

Goosberry problem
« on: May 04, 2011, 19:18 »
Last year I was given some goosberry cuttings that I planted and they came up but produced little fruit and were then savaged by saw fly lavae. Over winter I pruned them back and tried to open up the plants and they seemed to be growing fairly well.

This year I have sprayed to avoid the saw fly problem but noticed today that a number of the decent sized berries are covered in white stuff. Is this mildew? Can I do anything to redeem the situation as it is on a most of the plants. I have been watering with a hose recently from above - would this cause it?

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
Re: Goosberry problem
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 19:32 »
it is probably mildew and it is unlikely to have anything to do with your watering. Gooseberry Mildew can be reduced by keeping good air circulation round and through the bush, and choosing varieties that have some resistance.

See here for further information on organic and chemical solutions
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 19:41 by Yorkie »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 19:40 »
Realfood, I have edited your post to replace some of the text with the weblink from which it originated.

For copyright and site protection purposes, we prefer links to be provided rather than copy and paste  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

bayleaf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 18:00 »
yes it is mildew - i have planted three Lancashire Lad bushes which are supposed to be partly resistant to American mildew and they have it. The answer is either to spray or grow a totally resistant variety like Invicta - that's what I'll be doing next year as i don't like spraying.

clip
Goosberry

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 30, 2016, 20:54
by Trikidiki
xx
Goosberry

3 Replies
Last post May 17, 2017, 15:35
by mdjlucan
clip
Goosberry bush

7 Replies
Last post April 16, 2017, 21:45
by gobs
xx
Goosberry bush

1 Replies
Last post April 26, 2019, 10:55
by New shoot

Page created in 0.714 seconds with 28 queries.