blackcurrants with white aphids

• 2 Replies

tooo many seeds

blackcurrants with white aphids
« on: May 03, 2011, 20:32 »
i have 2 blackcurrant bushes and both have some leaf curling aphids on,i pressume its this as colour is white and the leaves have curled over.  i sprayed straight away and they seem dead,should i cut of the curled leaves or do anything else.the fruit is now showing green

Trillium

Re: blackcurrants with white aphids
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 23:03 »
This is from the University of Alberta Agriculture site:

Currant Aphid
Cryptomyzus ribis (L.)
Damage:
Aphids feed on the undersides of leaves and young shoots by sucking juices from the plant tissues. This feeding action usually results in a downward curling and crinkling of the leaves. Bronzing of the top surface of the leave is common. This particular species of aphid causes a puckering of the leaf surface.

Biology:
During the growing season female aphids reproduce asexually and can produce many generations of live young if the environment is favorable. Winged females will be produced to migrate to other currants. At the end of the season, males are produced so that mating and egg laying occur. Aphids overwinter as shiny-black eggs in the crotches of buds and stems.

Scouting:
Look for shiny patches of liquid on the upper surfaces of leaves. This is aphid excrement or “honeydew”. It indicates that aphids are feeding on the underside of the leaf above. Aphids are attracted to yellow sticky traps. However, if you see winged aphids on the traps it means your aphid infestation is well established and already on the move.

The best way to scout for aphids is to walk the orchard looking at the undersides of leaves or on the stems of new growth. Do a random sampling of 10-15 bushes per row to get a good overview of the state of your orchard.

Control:
There are many natural predators and parasitoids of aphids, including ladybugs, green and brown lacewings, hover flies and wasps.

In addition to predators, you could pick off the worst of the infected leaves and burn or bin them in closed bags so they can't escape. If you give the plants a manure slurry feeding, they'll soon sprout more leaves and stay healthy once you can introduce natural predators. I often go on the hunt for ladybugs and carefully bring them back to infected plants to do their duty. Or, you can purchase predators from online suppliers.

Don't leave this untreated as the aphids will spread quickly, everywhere.

tooo many seeds

Re: blackcurrants with white aphids
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 23:26 »
thanks thats great info

xx
aphids? and wierd white suckers on my peas.

Started by earthing83 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 05, 2009, 23:48
by Salmo
xx
Aphids!

Started by heygrow on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 06, 2019, 14:33
by Iecabus
xx
Getting rid of aphids...

Started by Sideways on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 14:18
by peterjf
xx
Aphids

Started by Armleywhite on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 03, 2013, 21:31
by Armleywhite

Page created in 0.487 seconds with 28 queries.