New to Poultry pages and aout to get my first hens.....

• 1 Replies

madamecholet

Good afternoon all!  Have just got my Eglu and am hoping to get my hens in the next 10-14 days.  I am looking at getting 3 Bovan Browns (they are bred close by so the cra journey wont be too long and traumatic for them).  Does anyone own this breed already?  Have rea in various places they are good starting Hen and placid which is the key as I have two children under 10 years old.
Could you also tell me of some essential extras I shoul get (other than the the obvious bedding/foodstuffs)
Many thanks all, I appreciate your time and help.

PaulineM

Re: New to Poultry pages and aout to get my first hens.....
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 16:54 »
Hi
And welcome to the site.  :)
You will need lots of bits and pieces, the obvious and essential will be layer pellets, grit and oyster shell. Then there is a first aid kit, purple spray, anti-pecking spray, Flubenvet for worming and Frontline kitten strength for mites. For cleaning I use latex gloves for poo picking, bucket, cleaning solution eg Jeyes fluid or poultry shield.
Of course you will need a comfortable seat for all the hours you will spend watching your girls.  And a camera of course because ww will be expecting photo's  :D
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

xx
difference between forum pages

Started by gracie on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 21, 2011, 16:37
by Casey76
xx
Poultry Spice, Poultry Zest, Garlic, Apple Vinegar, Verm-X, Liquid Tonic etcc

Started by OpiumEater on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 09:28
by Kenilworth
xx
Which hens for our broody? Need good layers and hardy hens, - which to choose

Started by sarahkk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 12:24
by sarahkk
xx
Introducing new hens to existing hens

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 14:52
by joyfull

Page created in 0.263 seconds with 36 queries.