Overwatering

• 29 Replies

jaycee

• Experienced Member
Overwatering
« on: August 29, 2007, 19:18 »
No matter how hard I try I don`t seem to get the kanck of correct watering...wether it be seedings, small plants or tomatoes to name but a few. Seedlings tend to look nice and damp on top but then dry underneath then I water with a fine spray and find I have almost drowned them.
I read about someone using a hand held water meter that gives a reading on the state of the growing medium. Anyone know anymore about these?
Any useful sdvice to stop me overwatering would also be appreciated.

shaun

Overwatering
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 23:10 »
capillary matting is good.you can use old carpet tiles they will do the job but the propper matting is best.you can actualy rig the matting into a header tank with a ball valve fitted,no more watering by hand then.
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

jaycee

• Experienced Member
Overwatering
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 11:00 »
"matting into a header tank with a ball valve fitted"
Shaun, Googled the matting OK but not sure on the header tank with fitted valve. I don`t have water in the greenhouse and there seems to be quite a few options for the water container. Can you please advise further. It`s only a small greenhouse
Thanks

shaun

Overwatering
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 09:03 »
what you need jay is a small plastic header tank attatched to the end of your greenhouse bench with a 15mm ball valve fitted (cost no more than £15 from a plumbing shop).now make sure the top of the tank is flush with the bench or a tadge lower,if its higher then it will empty to fast.
now drape the matting into the tank and along your bench.put some visqueen(plastic sheet) under the matting and fold the sides over the matting to form a bath,sit your seed trays/pots on top of the matting.
you dont realy need water to your greenhouse as you can attatch a hose to the ball valve with a hozelock fitting.
will get a pic of a friends set up next time i'm round his gaff  :wink:

jaycee

• Experienced Member
Overwatering
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 09:19 »
Shaun thanks for the extra info. I have practically no spacial ability so the photos along with your explanation will certainly get me on my way! Can`t wait to get it fixed up.

shaun

Overwatering
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 09:47 »
ive got this pic of earlier in the year jay you can see the matting on the right hand side bench under the trays.
I will get a pic of the tank for you

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
Overwatering
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 11:37 »
Wow Shaun. It'll take me 10 years getting that organised and neat! Well done man!
Jac

Trying organic gardening. Hoping to stick to it.

jaycee

• Experienced Member
Overwatering
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 11:57 »
Looks like I have a lot to aim for! I am OK with the outside planting have posted a photo on the allotment photo page but it`s so small you can hardly see it!.
I am totally organic and it`s been a hard slog to get a raised beach into a good growing medium....just barrowloads and barrowloads of seaweed but feel I have got there now. Next task is putting up a pollytunnel where we have dug out a rampant bamboo  Not a worm in sight where it was growing..so that`s another story and another back breaker to get some life into the soil there.
It`s a lot different gardening here than in my former home of Lancashire.
Now with your help , if I can get the watering right in the greenhouse I may feel like a proper competent gardener!
By the way what is the purpose of the hoops over the grow bags in the greenhouse photo? I am always willing to learn.
Would have posted a photo here but can`t work out how to!
Thanks a lot Joycee

jaycee

• Experienced Member
Overwatering
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 15:38 »

Managed to get a very small photo on but how do I make it bigger?
Will now spend the rest of the afternoon trying..it is raining after all and my better half is down on the beach getting yet more seaweed!
At last managed a larger picture.
The sun is now shining....wheelbarrow no 2 needs spreading but before that I need a fortified cuppa.

diggerjoe

Overwatering
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 16:58 »
oh boy - if only my plot had that view - i have council flats opposite mine  :mrgreen:

WG.

Overwatering
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 17:08 »
Quote from: "diggerjoe"
oh boy - if only my plot had that view
Yeah, sore on the eyes isn't it !!  :mrgreen:

Still, the midges wear tackety boots over on the W Coast ...  :wink:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Overwatering
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 18:57 »
What a plot jaycee.  I would think I'd died and gone to heaven  :!:  :D

Lovely greenhouse Shaun.  So how come you make such a mess in our Equipment Shed  :evil:

shaun

Overwatering
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 20:42 »
great location jay I love it   8)  if you ever want to swap with mine let us know  :wink:
the greenhouse aint mine guys(i wish it was)its a mate of mine I avnt got room for a 20'x10' in my garden  :roll: i will have to make do with my 8'x6' aluminium one  :cry:
the hoops jaycee over the grow bags is another watering system but a bit more complicated than the mat/header tank method.its on a hydrophonic system,to cut a very long short he has a 200g plastic tank buried outside the greenhouse,on this is an electric pump that pumps the water onto the toms or whatever else he grows on there,the water then goes back into the tank via a gravel bed and a drain,some water is lost through evaporation so the tank is topped up with a ball valve,the whole thing is on a timer and he recommends 2.5ltrs of water to each tom plant every 24hrs,its a bit much I know but his toms are 2nd to none .
aunty i never leave a mess in the shed cuss i'm never in there and if i did i would get a young lady to tidy up after me  :roll:  :wink:

jaycee

• Experienced Member
Overwatering
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2007, 08:48 »
There are some ingenious people about Shaun.
Thanks for all the input. Look forward to the next photo. Scotch mist here this morning and can only just see the other side of the loch. Still it`s Sat and it`s the Co-Op shopping run (36mile round trip to the nearest small Supermarket).
The price of peace, tranquility and being able to leave the house, car and sheds unlocked..

shaun

Overwatering
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 22:32 »
here you go jay better late than never,i asked him about this and he said anymore than 10ft from the header tank and the matting is to dry to work.hope this helps

xx
Overwatering

Started by DopeyAlex on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 17, 2010, 18:29
by DopeyAlex
xx
Overwatering tomato plants?

Started by Pony Girl on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 07:55
by Pony Girl

Page created in 0.694 seconds with 36 queries.