Looking into raising chicks...any info greatfully appreciated.

• 4 Replies

Carla

• Experienced Member
We've had a move around in the garden and freed up lots of space so I can have some more girlies living harmoniously with my children (poo and flies were an issue with them being completely free range)
I've always wanted to raise chicks but never had the courage to take the 1st step. My ex-batts are coming to the end of their laying life, so they can just be pets now and I'd like to get some more chickens and possibly raise babies. Toying with the idea of a cockerel, but not sure how the neighbours would feel :/
I dont know where to start, so if people could give me some general pointers, it would be a great help. Gotta start somewhere eh!!
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
Hi Carla
Were you thinking of using a broody hen or incubator or buying chicks in?
they would obviously need an escape proof pen, somewhere warm to cuddle up, feeders where they can't scratch the chick crumbs out, that can't get knocked over.
While this site is wonderful and I learn lots from it, I still like a good book, either my own or I support my local library, (use it or lose it, esp just now).
Whatever you do, I hope you have lots of time to dote on them, you don't have to, but you'll want to  :D

Carla

• Experienced Member
I've been offered some day old chicks, which I've been told is the easiest way to start out with the whole chick thing. I've got an indoor rabbit cage, with a lamp that they can use. Read up on chick crumb, a safe water drinker, letting them go outside for short spells etc. Nothing I can read can beat experience though, so was hoping there would be some gems of wisdom out there that would set me in good stead xx

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
are these day old chicks colour or feather sexed? If not there could be at least 50% boys and with some breeds you cant tell until they are either laying or crowing. How will the neighbours cope with several cockerels crowing?
Staffies are softer than you think.

Carla

• Experienced Member
This is why I needed to ask for advice...I cant have 1 cockerel let alone a few....what breeds can be feather sexed?? I'm not sure what these chicks are (not hatched yet anyway so it may all be pie in the sky at the mo), Indian Game Fowl...I think (see other post on ckn chat)....but I dont have to have them, I can go elsewhere for different breeds. I need female chicks only. I'm looking to expand my flock anyway, but dont have a clue what I'm doing to be honest!! My ex batts came ready to roam, but I love the idea of raising my own chicks, but have no clue at all what it involves. Went to Ash End Childrens Farm last week where they raise their own chicks, and it looked fairly simple, and it's set me off on wanting to raise my own!!

xx
raising chicks

Started by NATHAN on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 21, 2007, 20:13
by muntjac
xx
Raising chicks

Started by North Devon Dumpling on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 21:51
by francais
xx
Raising chicks

Started by bastonjock on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 16, 2011, 09:06
by Sassy
xx
broody raising chicks

Started by mikebucks on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:00
by mikebucks

Page created in 0.428 seconds with 31 queries.