Oh Beehave!

• 153 Replies

darren64

Re: Oh Beehave!
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2011, 20:36 »
I did my first full check if the bees since they arrived today and they seem to be doing well. It was a bit cold but my Mum had come down and she knows what she is looking at so that really helped (well except for locking us out of the house accidentally with the keys indoors!).

Saw the queen and no queen cells (signs they might be planning to swarm) which was really good as not really keen to have to cope with that yet if I don't have to.

makin sure they have plenty to do,and giving them space in the hive can help to deter swarming,I have now got my third super on my main,its given them more room and more wax to draw out.

Goldfinger

« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2011, 21:22 »
 Can I ask here,

I just find bees facinating and wondered what books you would recommend for a bit of light, (easy on the brain) reading while maybe work??

Because someone here's a mind reader, me talking at work about my lotty, someone pipes up, 'You'll be getting bees next!!??'  :blink:  :lol:

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2011, 14:01 »
I have a couple of little books about starting with bees etc but the one I've found the nicest to read it Collins beekeepers bible (or something like that). It's a bit bigger but has lots about bees in mythology and history together with the history of beekeeping which I found really interesting. It starts very basic so is easy to follow and assumes nothing about your knowledge already. Also has recipes in the back for all that honey I'm hoping to get!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Paul Plots

« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2011, 16:51 »
Recipes for things to do with honey? That sounds good.  ;)

My dad insists on having honey sandwiches made every evening before he goes to bed then, half-way through the night, wakes up and has a feast!!  ::)

Shouildn't complain. At 96 why shouldn't he.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Chrysalis

« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2011, 20:09 »
Is he called Winnie, Learner?  :D  96 is a grand age - must be all that royal jelly from the honey bees....

darren64

« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2011, 20:13 »
the books I have are educational but not too deep,bees at the bottom of the garden by allan campion,and guide to bees and honey by ted hooper.

Ruby Red

« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2011, 09:21 »

Dont mean to be a party pooper but before you get any make sure that the neighbours arent going to kick off. We have an on going story in our paper about an old chap in his 80s who has been doing it for the last 50 years. As the demography has changed round him people are becoming hysterical about it. Complaints that washing is being "spotted" as they fly over and saying that children are too frightened to go out . One woman saying she has to shut all her doors and windows the bees come to her garden. The poor chap is so upset and worries constantly which is making him very poorly. The council have , though I dont see how they can, stopped him from selling his honey to anyone. He may after all these years have to get rid of his one and only passion. It makes me sick that people can be so stupid. No one has been stung and I can only assume that the ones causing the fuss are newcomers to the area. A friend of his has got in touch with the Farmers Union and we are waiting to see what happens. They should realise that without people like him and others on here we wouldnt last long without them .
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2011, 15:48 »
It is a real shame that people now seem to regard the nature about them as an enemy that has to be kept out.

I have to say that I have gone for the opposite approach and not mentioned it at all to my neighbours. The bees have been here a month and noone has actually noticed them. I was a little lucky with that in that they have chosen a flight path that take them up over my property and then away to the park.

They are not causing them any bother and in that case why tell them if it will just upset them. If they caused any distress or stung anyone I think I would be quick to moving them from here as it would not be right if people were having to run a gauntlet of bees to get to their front door or couldn't sit out in nice weather but I am not going to look for trouble by telling them about something they are blissfully unaware of.

Paul Plots

« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2011, 16:35 »
It is a real shame that people now seem to regard the nature about them as an enemy that has to be kept out.

I have to say that I have gone for the opposite approach and not mentioned it at all to my neighbours. The bees have been here a month and noone has actually noticed them. I was a little lucky with that in that they have chosen a flight path that take them up over my property and then away to the park.

They are not causing them any bother and in that case why tell them if it will just upset them. If they caused any distress or stung anyone I think I would be quick to moving them from here as it would not be right if people were having to run a gauntlet of bees to get to their front door or couldn't sit out in nice weather but I am not going to look for trouble by telling them about something they are blissfully unaware of.

IMHO a very sensible attitude. The less they know the better or is it.... "what they don't know about can't harm them"?  ;)

darren64

« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2011, 21:26 »

IMHO a very sensible attitude. The less they know the better or is it.... "what they don't know about can't harm them"?  ;)
wait till a new queen goes on a mating flight,your neighbours will be hard pushed not to notice.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2011, 20:44 »
I am hoping that I don't get a new queen till next year but if it happens, it happens!

Looked through them last weekend and no queen cells and the queen seen and laying so keeping my fingers crossed that they will be nice to me this year. My mum is coming down tomorrow and we are going to go through them together just incase I have missed anything what with being new!

I keep having panics that I am not looking after them properly, going in too often or not enough etc. Mum has pointed out to me that they have been bees for a lot longer than I have been a beekeeper and should put right anything I mess up. I certainly hope so!

Hawkins

« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2011, 21:23 »
Sounds fantastic Kate. Im glad u got them in the end. Dean is really keen and has been reading your posts. One day well have bees too and I have found a local company that do courses and offer support so were almost there. Keep posting so we can all learn.
Em  

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Shop Keep

« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2011, 11:21 »
Yes, Keep posting Kate.
Chickens are our next project and then bees penciled in for spring next year.

Graham

whiskywill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2011, 11:30 »
did you know that keeping your bee suit in the house weakens your immunity to bee stings?

This is not true. Please don't spread old wives tales. ::)
Any day above ground is a good day.

amckeen

« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2011, 12:37 »
I am 99% certain mine have swarmed - had some queen cell activity which I was on top of then there was a period where every day was windy and rainy and when I tried to look they threw a fit (you know what I mean, coming to the top of the frames and staring before attacking).

So, by the time I got a decent day and could fully inspect the hive was strangely quiet.  I'm sure I had just missed the swarm.  Now I am waiting to see if there is a new queen (haven't spotted her) and am in the period before eggs are laid - none on Sunday.

A little daunting as I have just taken everything on and it is a steep learning curve even after doing an intro course last year.  If no eggs appear this week it will be a shopping trip for a new queen I feel.

on the bright side...the old queen was a couple of years old so if she has left it has saved me the job of finding her and replacing this summer.

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 32 queries.