Bald bellied chicken- any advise?

• 8 Replies

daisy1990

Bald bellied chicken- any advise?
« on: April 24, 2011, 20:42 »
we have recently taken in a two year old light sussex who was dirty in colour.  We bathed her today after reading another post that suggested we could.  When all the dried on poop and mud came off her, we can see she looks oven ready underneath.  Any ideas about what may have caused this or what we can do to help?  I have sprayed her with anti peck spray (in case she is pulling feathers out, but we haven't sen her do this or found feathers)  She is otherwise well but her poo is runnier than our other hens if that is relevant

Thanks Daisy
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

bantam novice

Re: Bald bellied chicken- any advise?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 20:55 »
Where did you get her from?  What conditions was she living in? 
She may just have gone through a full moult.  A light sussex should have mostly white feathers with black highlights. 
I am not that experienced and someone with more experience than me may be able to make further suggestions.  In the meatime good luck with her and keep us posted. 
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

PaulineM

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 22:28 »
If its her chest that is bare she could have been broody, she might have runny pooh with the stress of the move.  :)
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 22:40 »
As well as the fact that she may have been broody and plucked herself!  If she was that dirty underneath, she was probably laying on her poop, which has a lot of ammonia in it and the feathers could have been rubbed off or burnt off with the strength of the ammonia!

daisy1990

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 09:01 »
she was my cleaner's hen (she had two, one died after the fence fell on her so we agreed to take the other bird) she was free ranging on grass and in a clean coop at night (she brought the coop with the hen so we could separate her from ours) Our hens still dont like her and she keeps away from them (which is sad to see) but I haven't seen any of them hurting her.  She looks cleaner after her bath.  She does have runny poo still so we are giving her yoghurt and fewer treats, but no sign of new feathers

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 10:52 »
My light sussex also has a bare under carriage.  There's no sign of bugs or stress.  She free ranges during the day and into a clean coop at night.  She recently sat on a fragile egg and smashed it all over her beneath bits and so we think that's why she is bald under there.  There was a lot of pecking going on!
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 11:31 »
Hi Daisy, has your new girl been wormed recently?  It might not have anything to do with the bald area, but might be relevant to the runny poop.  I would suggest making sure she is completely parasite-free before introducing her to your other girls.

Also what does the skin look like under the bald areas?  Can you check whether there is any sign of irritation or infection? 

helens-hens

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 13:34 »
I'm not trying to hijack this post but one of mine (Rhode Rock approx 18 months) has recently developed the same problem. She is bald from about half way down her crop (only shows when full) and down underneath. She seems quite happy in every way, has v.clean coop & nesting area and is not being pecked by the other (she is top hen anyway).

I can't see that she has been plucking herself but she does some to spend more time in the nest box than our other hen, not always productively. I wouldn't expect a hen of this type to be broody but could that be the reason why?
Helen

daisy1990

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 16:50 »
My cleaner wormed her a few weeks ago (with wormer from the vet but she doesn't know which), so dont think it can be that, the other hens dont like her at all and the poor thing spends all her day on top of the rabbit hutch!

question
Bald chicken

Started by chicken george25 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 12, 2012, 11:53
by joyfull
xx
bald chicken

Started by peter and jean on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 23, 2012, 12:06
by joyfull
xx
Bald headed chicken!!

Started by moomoos42 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 20, 2012, 13:44
by moomoos42
xx
chicken with bald, blooming head

Started by carsmarco252 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 18, 2010, 21:31
by orchardlady

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 28 queries.