No Eggs!!!

• 1 Replies

moomoos42

No Eggs!!!
« on: April 23, 2011, 18:55 »
Hi,
Daft question but does hot weather stop chickens laying?
I'm in  Cambridgeshire and it's been 24c/26c for about 4 days.
Well my young nieces came on thursday and they were a bit loud and the Gals got frightened. So when i went to get the eggs and there were only 2 i thought it may have been why. (i've got 4 hens so 4 a day is usual.)
Then i found an egg in the dirt of the run when i went to shut them up, very pale and mottled.
Anyway i've only had 2 eggs a day the last 2 days.
They've got loads of water and loads of shade. They are eating well, corn, layers meal and scraps and ripping my garden plants to pieces as usual!!
I am giving them a 7 day worming powder at the moment, started that Thursday morning, could that effect them?
Any addvise ?
thanks  :(
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 18:58 by moomoos42 »

daisy1990

Re: No Eggs!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 19:24 »
Its quite normal for hens not to lay every day (more unusual f they do!) frequency of eggs depends on all sorts of factors such as age and breed.  Light is the main natural factor that has an effect which is why most (but not all) hens stop laying in the darker winter months unless they are given artificial light.
If your girls have shade and water they shouldn't be too hot (but look like they are panting if they do) if they are active I wouldn't worry!
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

Page created in 0.566 seconds with 28 queries.