From Windy Ridge…… There is a reason they called it that!!!

• 6 Replies

Taff the Welder

Good-day allotmentees all. In brief, I’m Gary on the Windy Ridge site in South Wales. Second season on the patch and living proof that you learn by mistakes….

While I’m here could I glean some advice?

I’ve just noticed I have buds appearing on a two year apple old tree I thought I’d lost to the harsh winter. While being chuffed that the hardy little devil has made it  :D , there are more buds on the rootstock then the main branches.  What, if anything, do I do with the rootstock buds?

Many Thanks

JayG

• Global Moderator
Morning Taff!

I'll move your question to the "Grow your own" board as it is more likely to be seen by members who might have the answer.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
when you say the buds are on the rootstock, do you mean that they are twigs growing below the graft?
(The graft is a bumpy/lumpy bit on the stem usually near soil level.)

Goosegirl

Sounds as if the rootstock is flourishing but the grafted apple is not. If that's the case, I would rub off the buds on the rootstock - see what others say first.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Trillium

I'd take the rootstock buds off as well, otherwise the rootstock will take over and the top part will die off eventually - which is not what you want.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
but the buds might just be on the stem, above the graft............Taff needs to check that first I reckon :)

Taff the Welder

Had another look this afternoon, got 4 buds that are looking to break into leaves by the look of them, below the graft, but several weaker looking buds further up the main stem.
Unless anyone knows for certain, I think the best course will be to do as the goosegirl & Trillium suggest.  I’ll take the buds off below the graft with a sharp knife.  Do I risk Cankers or other ailments if I don’t seal the wound after or will a dab of Vaseline keep the bugs away until it heals?

xx
Ridge Cucumbers

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 12, 2013, 19:04
by pdblake
xx
what is a ridge cucumber?

Started by 666 on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post September 14, 2007, 19:22
by jacnal
xx
Ridge cucumber - can I cook it ?

Started by mrs bouquet on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 24, 2009, 20:58
by mrs bouquet
xx
Ridge cucumbers in greenhouse?

Started by savbo on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 12, 2009, 07:29
by matron

Page created in 0.517 seconds with 30 queries.