Too early to water I wonder?

• 31 Replies

Benandbill

Too early to water I wonder?
« on: April 20, 2011, 07:18 »
I have a feeling the time's come to get the can out again.  I see no sign of rain in the forecast for the coming week.  Maybe just a sprinkle as soil looks dry on top but I bet there's moisture underneath.  Hmmmm  :unsure:

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Too early to water I wonder?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 07:26 »
What do you have in the ground so far, B&B?
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 07:32 »
"Stick your finger in" my dad told me.

A bit of "dry" will encourage roots to develop in search of moisture.
Too much dry and nothing moves or worse things begin to die.

If it's dry deep down then a good soaking is better than a light sprinkle. Then leave plants to get on with it. Seed beds are another matter - moist is, in my opinion, better than either drowned or parched.

I prefer to water with a can rather than a hose. Water left standing in a butt or old bath is warmer so less of a rude shock to plants in warm soil.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 08:19 »
I'm soaking the planting holes for things I am putting out. Don't remember having to do that in April in the past. But it will mean the soil under the plants is moist, and hopefully encourage the roots downwards - my guess is that it will stay damper than the surrounding soil for a couple of weeks.

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 08:36 »
Its bank holiday weekend in 2 days, it's got to rain then  :ohmy:
R.I.P Bobby Smiler Smith......love you always little fella.

katiekate

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 08:51 »

I have puddled in my strawbs and tried to give everything a soaking.. Can anyone tell me how much a soaking is? I put a full can on each row (about 3 meters) is that enough? I'm wondering if one persons 'thorough soaking' is another's 'light sprinkling'!

simonwatson

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 09:59 »
If it's moist deep down that will encourage deep roots, which is good as then in the summer your plants will last longer during the dry spells. If you water like rain, giving a soaking weekly, the top of the soil will stay quite dry whilst the underneath will be nice and moist.

We've had no real rain for three weeks now and the top of my veg patch is dry as a bone. Go down three inches though and it's lovely and moist. The only things I've watered more than once a week are things newly planted out that haven't had a chance to put roots down into the moist zone yet.

sjjones

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 10:13 »
My soil is bone-dry for about the first 6 inches.
As I'm putting things in, I'm soaking the trenches I dig and giving the water time to sink in before putting the plants in.
I'm watering everything about twice a week after that - about 2 litres per metre row.

SarahM.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 10:41 by sjjones »

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 10:54 »
I gave the spuds and the new pea seedlings a soaking yesterday.  They must have needed it. I swear the peas grew an inch before my eyes  :D
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 13:55 »
we have been watering every 2/3 days. quite sunny here. just don't want hailstorm like last year. last year we have 2 inches of hailstones, broke every flower in the garden >:(  inc lavender twist which i never seen it flower since i bought it 3 years ago  :(

if it needs to rain then just water please and no icey balls. just wish we had a healthy balance of rain ievery other early morning and sunny during the day then allotment will look after itself, just the deweeding left to do.

Salmo

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 14:29 »
No rain here except for drizzle since the last days of February. Plenty of moisture underneath except where soil has been turned over.

Seeds need watering to start them off but are growing a treat in the sunshine.

jabailey

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 15:15 »
Local farmer who keeps rainfall records says for the whole of March and so far in April we have received 4.4mm of rain and it is dry (and dusty!). Strawberries were wilting yesterday and tips of onions are turning yellow so its time for the cans.

Salmo

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 18:12 »
There is a drawback to watering. I watered some emerging carrots and beetroot last night. Just been to check on the plot and there are mole runs everywhere I watered.

I know ererything has to live but moley can go away as soon as he likes.

You have to admire them really.

Benandbill

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 20:09 »
Salmo, I just got back and realised the only thing i forgot to water are the carrots and beet newly(ish) planded that definately haven't had any rain! DOH!!  :ohmy:

Argylie, since you're asking I have a few week old broad beans, newly planted onion sets, purple sprouting that I want to flower a bit more as we've been picking it, galic that's looking great but for the yellowy leaves and winter onions also looking great!!  :tongue2:

solway cropper

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 22:50 »
The only things I've watered are the container veg as they can't send their roots down in search of moisture. Far too many people get the can or hose out if we have a couple of days without rain. Just leave em to it. If it still hasn't rained by June give em a good soaking  :)

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 28 queries.