Mindless ...

• 20 Replies

Lardman

Mindless ...
« on: April 19, 2011, 20:16 »
This copper beach used to be a classic shape - Its was a really nice, mature tree (40 years old at least).

It spans 2 gardens, last year one of the houses changed hands and the new family had the tree pruned.. Some people have just no common sense at all  :( not to mention is now looks butt ugly !

And people wonder why I have a problem with tree hating, power tool wielding morons.
prune.jpg

Trillium

Re: Mindless ...
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 20:23 »
Whose yard is the trunk on? That is the person who decides whether or not something gets pruned - the other must first ask permission.

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 20:30 »
I assume the tree is actually in the garden with some left.

Its a few doors down from my Mothers place, that tree represents the last living thing left in the street over 15ft. Everything else has been deemed too tall and cut down by the sun light police.

Im sure it was all done legally, its just the total lack of understanding of the tree and the shape that got me. Whoever did it has just taken a straight line vertically from the fence upwards. They're legally fully within their rights to do so - but even so.....

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 20:47 »
I agree with you. Truly an abomination to do that to venerable trees and area history.

maxyboo

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 21:05 »
I do have some sympathy with people who have to put up with a neighbours tree sucking the life from their garden. My veggie patch was a poor specimen before next doors tree was cut down. In this case however I am with you entirely. The tree was there and already that size when they moved in for goodness sake. It is such a shame.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 21:30 »
My God that looks terrible
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 21:57 »
Absolutely barbaric.  All established, venerable old trees ought to be protected from such mindless destruction.  What a world we live in now. :(
Cheese makes everything better.

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 21:58 »
imbeciles wished i lived in your road

viettaclark

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 00:11 »
It really broke my heart when new neighbours hacked back my 40' spruce to the fence up halfway. It looks ridiculous (imagine an isosceleles triangle with a chunk cut out from the base up about 20')
I know it blocked their light but it was a magnificent structural tree that was there when they bought the place (at least 50 years old) and now they must sit in their garden looking at a mass of ugly grey and black twigs, branch ends and dirty cobwebby trunk because they can't cut further than the fence!! They haven't even improved the light much! And it won't grow back....
They had a mindless few weeks hacking back everything overhanging their garden on all sides including branches of my damson (which were loaded with fruit) and the eucalyptus (which has grown back twice as thick and taller than before. :lol:)
Shame about the fruit trees I put in before they moved in because although they are a distance from the fence they will grow much taller......
My neighbours on the other side have tall dense trees like holly, sycamore and rowan but I have used the shade to grow interesting plants.
That said, fir trees do produce alot of detritus and the earth is dry underneath but I'm growing blueberries and other stuff very successfully, thank-you!
Right....I'll stop the rant now....

Swing Swang

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 07:38 »
I've got a lot of sympathy for the tree lopper. It might be classic and beautiful, but from my interpretation of the photo it's significantly taller than the house, and it's closer to the house than it is tall. It will be sucking moisture from the garden and it will have been blocking the light. Also it's not  just what's happening now, but what wil happen in 10 , 20 years time. Personally I'd not have bought the house, which is not a particularly helpful comment to make, and had the tree been on my land (assuming that my assessment of the photo is correct) then it would have been felled and grubbed out.

Assuming that there was no TPO, and that I'd discussed the situation with my neighbour, and that my intended actions were lawful, I would also have considered the option of cutting it back to the boundary of my property. It will grow and in a few years it, and although it might look a bit quirky it won't stand out too much. I'd also have considered root pruning it along the boundary line too.

Mature trees are one of the best assets that an established garden can have, but a lot of thought needs to go into where they are sited, and the species selected. 6 years ago I removed 27 laurel trees and two mature hornbeams from my small garden (approx 300sqm); and with permission removed another hornbeam from the boundary and pollarded a sycamore (which I'd have felled given the chance/authority). The two birches remain, but were pollarded and now look very well proportioned. It was a real shame to see the hornbeams go but the benefits far outweigh the 'vandalism' and there are no worries about tree roots damaging property foundations.

SS

Edited to remove numerous typo's!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 15:53 by Swing Swang »

Paul Plots

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 07:52 »
Lardman I agree the "pruned" tree does look a mess and I'd be very sad to see it near to my garden as we have few trees left here now. 25 years ago it was a different matter but, gradually, new owners and decay have resulted in just a few whoppers left.

Anyone on the shady side may well be pleased to see them go or be reduced in size and I'd easily appreciate why.

Careful choice about what to plant where is needed. Also when considering buying a new house the garden would be a major factor for me... too much shade or potential "back-out" from neighbouring trees would make me think twice and probably decide "no".

Given a very great time nature will balance out the damage to that tree you picture but it'll never be quite the same will it?  :(
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 20:58 »

Its a few doors down from my Mothers place, that tree represents the last living thing left in the street over 15ft. Everything else has been deemed too tall and cut down by the sun light police.

Im sure it was all done legally, its just the total lack of understanding of the tree and the shape that got me. Whoever did it has just taken a straight line vertically from the fence upwards. They're legally fully within their rights to do so - but even so.....

That is exactly what happened to a beautiful Rowan in my Mum's garden.  But he waited until he knew that we had taken her away for a few days.   Now the tree looks a lopsided mess.  I keep feeding it, hoping it will soon make new growth.   |People who don't like trees annoy me. but people who are sneaky, annoy me even more.  :D  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Paul Plots

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 15:49 »

That is exactly what happened to a beautiful Rowan in my Mum's garden.  But he waited until he knew that we had taken her away for a few days.   Now the tree looks a lopsided mess.  I keep feeding it, hoping it will soon make new growth.   |People who don't like trees annoy me. but people who are sneaky, annoy me even more.  :D  Mrs Bouquet

Any of the tree that was over-hanging into the neighbours garden was legal game but it is not legal to prune/hack/trim anything that is actually in a neighbour's garden.

Rowans are very forgiving. Where someone makes a cut the following year you are likely to have a whole new batch of shoots. Clever things trees... those that can will send new growth into an empty patch of space. The rowan is good at doing this in my experience.

fatcat1955

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 16:38 »
And why oh why do neighbours plant a tree capable of reaching 40ft right on the fence line.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 17:29 »
cos they would rather it didn't shade their own garden  ::)

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 37 queries.