hypo allergenic

• 5 Replies

redspookycooky

hypo allergenic
« on: April 18, 2011, 18:59 »
Hi we need to try and swap our 15 week old staffy onto an affordable hypoallergenic puppy food, our vet has reccommended doing this as he is still scratching alot and can only stay on his steroids for a little while longer, before they start causing more problems, he is currently on Eukanuba, due to us getting free trial samples, but unfortunately finances are very low so we need an affordable food, any suggestions?

asd1

• Experienced Member
Re: hypo allergenic
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 19:50 »
Try James well beloved

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 17:49 »
As well as food, check what sort of laundry soap you use on the dog's bedding, etc. that could be contributing to the dry skin/allergies problem. My son can't use any form of laundry soap, and a pet lying on any washed bedding could be affected the same.

Mazzie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 22:26 »
Has your vet done any allergy testing?  Or suggested the Eukanuba?

Without an allergy test you really wont be able to decide on the best food because you wont know what the dog is allergic to.  Some dogs like humans can be allergic to pollen or as Trillium says household cleaners (especially the Febreeze stuff).

If the vets sell Eukanuba themselves be aware they often get incentives from the sales reps.  For itchy dogs i much prefer Royal Canin which sorted my Lurcher pup out enough to get him on a cheaper food. 

Casey76

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 23:04 »
Have you thought about a raw diet.

Check out RMB (raw meaty bones) diet on line.  It doesn't have to be expensive. (and steer clear of BARF, this has now gone completley away from what a raw diet should be!)

mobilekat

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 16:47 »
Our Staffi x Greyhoud had 'Staffi skin' (and staffi tummy- phew....)

We found he was worse on James Well-beloved (especially his belly), but has been brilliant on Bakers chicken dog food.

It is often a case of trial and error, but we also used to give him Evening primrose oil tablets and these helped.

The main difference between the food is the expensive ones tend to be 'purer' so are often the real solution. But they do then cost more.

One vet I used to work with used to tell people to try feeding Chappie tinned food and plain terrier mixer, as he said many dogs were great on it!

Dont forget that while puppy foods are brilliant, they have only been around a short time and dogs have coped without them for years, and a Staffi is not like a giant bred pup that needs a carefully balanced diet to prevent the joint issues so many of them get!

Good luck- and try talking to your vet, explain money is an issue and see what they say!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 29 queries.