Crowing Chicken

• 1 Replies

pigeonpie

Crowing Chicken
« on: April 18, 2011, 11:23 »
Our girls run and house is right outside our bedroom window so we're well used to them cackling and chatting whilst they wait patiently (and sometimes not so patiently!) for us to let them out.  However, yesterday morning we were surprised to hear a very tentative "cock-a-doodle-doo", followed by a slightly more confident one.  We were in absolute stitches listening to whichever girl it was trying out her cockerel impression.  I was up and out earlier than the girls this morning but hubbie said she had another go this morning, still quietly and he said she almost sounded surprised at herself!!!

We're starting to think she may have to be upgraded from a plain old chicken to a chockerel...

:D

Beano

Re: Crowing Chicken
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 13:21 »
Yes it is amusing and shocking when you first hear a chicken crowe. The first time I heard it I thought someone had played a prank and put a cockerel in with our girls.
By now she crowes every morning and it is quite funny to see her winding herself up to do it.
She will jump/fly from a perch and land on a shelter we built for them. She is quite old and my husband has moved the perch closer to the shelter because she was only just managing to reach it. Once on top of the shelter she stands wide leged and beak open to take some big breaths, then look out she starts. After about ten crowes she does a very large poo  and then hops down for breakfast. We have had to explain to our neighbours that we have not got a cockerel and just recently she has taken to crowing in the coup, which is quieter and has got it all done with by the time she comes out.
She will not crowe during the day. It's as if she has to have a "gargle" first thing in the morning. Is your chicken old? Has she stopped laying like ours?
El.

xx
crowing??

Started by sussexchook on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post September 16, 2012, 18:14
by steelman
xx
A chicken thank you?

Started by themagicaltoad1 on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 16:18
by themagicaltoad1
xx
Chicken was almost put down

Started by Oliveview on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post June 30, 2013, 00:09
by Oliveview
xx
One very wet chicken.

Started by alancane on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post November 14, 2010, 19:32
by New shoot

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 28 queries.