Advice please; onions have stopped growing

• 14 Replies

suesowsseed

• Experienced Member
Advice please; onions have stopped growing
« on: April 12, 2011, 08:40 »
Hi All,

I have a tray of Alisa Craig onions sown from seed which germinated well and look healthy enough but they seem to have stopped growing.  They are at the second leaf stage and still a bit spindley.  Should I plant them out in the open ground to get them growing again?  I sowed into seed compost so assume the nutrients are too low by now. 

Or, should I re pot them into trays of multi purpose?

Thanks

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Advice please; onions have stopped growing
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 09:42 »
I seem to remember Mumofstig saying her onion seedlings were doing better than previously so she might be along soon with some tips.

As for mine (first-time effort) they have gone from pathetic to calamitous (watered them with Miracle Grow and half of them have since died; probably over-watered!)  :(
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

slow_worm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 11:04 »
Make sure they are not kept too wet - damp will do!  Your growing compost should have plenty of nutrients for many weeks.  Plenty of light is required - where are you growing them?  I grown mine in the conservatory then they go outside in the day into a cold frame for maximum daylinght until they are big enough to pop in the ground.
There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature? the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter. -   Rachel Carson

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 11:25 »
Put a cloche over the ground you are going to plant them in, to warm the soil up and plant out at the end of April. Leave the cloche on for 2/3 weeks after planting.
In the mean time move them into a cold frame.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 13:01 »
I seem to remember Mumofstig saying her onion seedlings were doing better than previously so she might be along soon with some tips.

No tips from me I'm afraid, I think they liked the warmer weather :(
I saw the forcast was for back to cool so still have mine in the cold greenhouse. They now have 3 leaves, which I've read is planting out time, but they still look so skinny
this site  http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Onions/Onions.htm

suggests 15 weeks from sowing to planting, and that's not for another few weeks for mine(planted 17 jan) ............they better do well after all this faffing about :D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 13:02 by mumofstig »

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 13:54 »
I just got sick of looking at mine, never changing or growing, week after week, so last weekend I decided the hell with it and planted them out :)

None of them have died or gone droopy so far, and they couldn't possibly grow any slower than they were in the modules, so I don't see how it can do any harm. I was already leaving them out overnight anyway and at least they're getting more nutrients now. I've stuck BFB down in the bed but that's all. Fingers crossed.

someoneorother

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 14:03 »
I just got sick of looking at mine, never changing or growing, week after week, so last weekend I decided the hell with it and planted them out :)

None of them have died or gone droopy so far, and they couldn't possibly grow any slower than they were in the modules, so I don't see how it can do any harm. I was already leaving them out overnight anyway and at least they're getting more nutrients now. I've stuck BFB down in the bed but that's all. Fingers crossed.

I've done similar - they were looking very droopy in the modules so I thought 'to hell with it' and planted them out a couplre of weeks ago. They haven't died or anything, and are now standing up (mostly) rather than flopping over. Still very spindly though.

Salmo

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 14:42 »
Onions from seed always look pathetic until Derby Day. Then they start to bulb up and overtake sets.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 14:49 »
Onions from seed always look pathetic until Derby Day. Then they start to bulb up and overtake sets.

Not sure my remaining seedlings will last that long; if I finish up with 1 onion I'll probably think I've done well! (Thank heaven for shallots and spring onions!)  ::)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 15:24 »
afternoon update  ::)
I sowed mine in tiny plug plant modules, so just decided to put them into bigger ones.
I can report that they may not have much top growth , but there was a lot of root growth..............so they must just be doing their 'own thing' and will come right in the end.

fingers crossed  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 12:34 »
further update....
I planted mine out today, about half the size of a supermarket spring onion, but they look big enough to hold their own, and they had plenty of root on them :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 13:10 »
further update....
I planted mine out today, about half the size of a supermarket spring onion, but they look big enough to hold their own, and they had plenty of root on them :)

Tut, tut! (Wot kept you Mum?)!  :unsure:  :tongue2:

Planted my surviving 10 onions a couple of days ago (about half the size of a short piece of polypropylene string and approximately the same degree of floppiness!!)  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 13:16 »
No floppiness here, they were erect, if I am allowed to say that  ;)
28 Sweet Spanish, 28 Walla Walla (which look stronger) and 24 Long Red Florence.

If they don't get bigger........I guess that's my spring onion supply taken care of :lol:

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 13:17 »
suggests 15 weeks from sowing to planting, and that's not for another few weeks for mine(planted 17 jan)
Mine sown mid January were getting very yellow at the tips. I planted them out, and the ones sown mid Feb too.

The mid-Jan ones had strong roots coiled round the bottom of the cell (straightened them out and planted them vertically), the mid-Feb ones had only just started doing coiled-roots.

About 1-in-5 had snuffed it, or were too tiddly to consider planting out.

Hope I've not gone "too early" ...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 13:19 »
fingers crossed for all of us then  :D

xx
TOMATOES HAVE STOPPED GROWING

Started by Scribbler on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 30, 2008, 17:15
by Scribbler
xx
Jalapeno has just stopped growing - help!

Started by Sal1610 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 25, 2009, 11:57
by Mitsy
xx
sprouts stopped growing

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 13, 2012, 19:22
by sunshineband
xx
French beans have stopped growing

Started by beth123 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 25, 2011, 10:13
by bigben

Page created in 0.835 seconds with 30 queries.