To Prune Or Not?

• 1 Replies

erainn

• Experienced Member
To Prune Or Not?
« on: April 09, 2011, 15:17 »
Bought from my local nursery a blackcurrant bush, it has about four branches, roughly 2 feet in height. I had read that after planting it was adviseable to cut back to around 6 inches above soil level. Is that the case? Or can It be left to develop, along with the leaves and buds? It's presently planted on our allotment. Any help/ideas most welcome.

Trillium

Re: To Prune Or Not?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 15:33 »
Black currants differ from red and white in that blacks fruit on 2nd and 3rd year old wood. You don't want the plant massed with stems as you do need good air flow through them, but you also need new growth coming up each year to replace the older ones which will be cut away in subsequent years (4 yr old wood doesn't produce well and should be cut away. this will be the darkest of all wood).

It's hard to know what bearing age your plant is but I wouldn't cut down everything. Perhaps one or two central stems that appear very dark to encourage new growth for this year. If anyone else on your lotty has black currants, introduce yourself and ask what they do. Most are glad to share info.

And here's more for you:
http://usagardener.com/how_to_grow_fruits/how_to_grow_black_currant.php

xx
Hazelnut care. To prune or not to prune?

Started by louisemasters on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 01, 2021, 18:55
by Yorkie
xx
More than just a prune.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2016, 13:15
by Lardman
xx
When do you prune your grapevine?

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 17, 2020, 18:32
by jezza
xx
How hard can I prune?

Started by Doc_D on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 22, 2011, 23:22
by cooperman

Page created in 0.486 seconds with 31 queries.