Hen walking on her big toe?

• 7 Replies

Liv

Hen walking on her big toe?
« on: April 07, 2011, 20:10 »
Hi, one of my hens has just started only putting weight on the front part of her big toe and I can't work out what has happened or to what part of her foot? I'm hoping someone will have a better idea than me of what's wrong with her and what I should do?
Thankyou, Liv :( x

cattiemeg

Re: Hen walking on her big toe?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 21:28 »
hi ,have you checked her feet to see if theres any muck or debris under it? :blush:

Liv

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 16:38 »
Yes, it all looks fine, her joint in her toe looks a bit swollen or broken? I'm not sure how best to attempt to fix this?

PaulineM

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 19:39 »
Hi
I'm not very experienced in anything like this but if you don't think a trip to the vets is in order you could maybe try putting a fabric sticking plaster on her toe to act as a strapping but as I say this is only a guess so decide yourself if this might be an options,
Good luck  :)
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

bantam novice

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 22:59 »
It may be bumble foot.  If you type bumble foot into the search box in the top right hand corner you should be able to find lots of info about this.

If you think the toe is broken I would agree that a trip to the vet is in order.  You will need to find a local chicken-friendly vet.  Not all of them are, and some even refuse to treat chickens.

Good Luck and keep us posted!  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

muntjac

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 07:33 »
i suggest if the toe is broken not a plaster, they fall of to quick, use a small length of insulation tape around the toe, as for taking it to the vet ,we have turkeys and chucks damage toes and i am sure my vet would love us paying for his new rangerover with advising the same ,shoving antibiotics into the bird and charging us £25 for a consultation. i have seen lots of pheasants and other game birds with broken toes , dont worry to much but try the tape  it may just be a dislocation and the tape will hold it in place until the toe regains its strength
still alive /............

Liv

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 13:32 »
Thanks for all your suggestions! No it's not bumble foot, the only sign of anything wrong is her scaley things on the base of her foot look odd compared to the other, so I'm treating her for scaley leg mites just incase but I don't know if this can cause limping?
I am thinking about attempting a support for her toe out of gaffatape and tissue? She has damaged her feet before it's just this time it looks a bit more serious, hopefully it will fix by itself.  :(

bantam novice

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 21:16 »
Good Luck to you and your chook, Liv  :)

xx
Hen walking sideways

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post December 26, 2008, 22:18
by poultrygeist
xx
Hen walking backwards

Started by cathangirl on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 02, 2011, 11:16
by cathangirl
xx
Walking like a penguin???

Started by kymw90 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 21, 2012, 12:30
by Marrianne
xx
Hen walking backwards

Started by Kathie on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 15, 2011, 17:18
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.281 seconds with 28 queries.