I'm bean confused

• 13 Replies

stentman

• Experienced Member
I'm bean confused
« on: April 05, 2011, 14:00 »
I'm getting bean muddled. I keep reading don't plant your beans out until all risk of frost is gone or now (April) is the right time get beans in the ground, or you should have planted them last Autumn and so on. I realise there are many differing types, we have broad beans, runners, french, borlotti etc etc plus dwarf versions. Which sorts are frost tolerant? which get planted when? as the general term "bean" is, for me at least, becoming a bit vague. Seemingly french ones won't take a frost and broad ones will but what differenciates between a broad bean and a runner bean and where do string beans, green beans and even borlotti beans fit into the mix?

I grew Galaxy (Runner), Aquadulce claudia (Broad), Moonbeam (Runner?) and Primel (French?) last year with some success and and saved some of each. The claudia are out and growing and have been since last year the rest, plus some borlotti, are in cardboard pots waiting to spring to life.
Stents keeping things open 24/7

If one way be better than another, that you can be sure is natures way. Aristotle 384BC - 322BC

compostqueen

Re: I'm bean confused
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 14:07 »
Always read the packet instructions and that will tell you specifically what type of bean you have and how to grow it, plant it out etc

Broad bean is hardy, runner beans aren't.  I lost runner beans on 4th and 5th June one year ( to frost) so I never jump the gun now and wait, delaying sowing until the first week in May and then transplanting them onto the lotty the second week in June. I am in North Derbys. You can check your last forecasted frost on Metcheck etc

I think French beans, cannellini beans and borlottis are tender and would delay sowing and planting those out too early

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 14:08 »
The only beans that you can sow while there are frosts about are broad beans! (sow in autumn to overwinter, or in early spring)
Simples  :)

All the rest need either sowing in pots and transplanting after your last frost, or sowing direct after your last frost. Clever you if you can tell which frost is the last one :lol:

taurus1530

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 14:31 »
Hi I suffered last year with my climbing French Beans they mostly failed, so this year I have started them in the greenhouse and now they are in the cold frame. Hoping for better results.

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 14:42 »
Last two years ive transplanted french beans and when transplanted they always flop over or the stalk breaks where it meets the soil.

This happen to anyone else?

Ive thinking of sowing directly into the ground this year so it doesnt happen.

Never had this problem with other beans ive grown.

Any idea?

BLOOMING LOVELY

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 15:23 »
Last year my beans were at the best miserable. I did broad, runner and french. Not doing broad or french this year and trying a new trick with my runners. Starting some inside in late April and then plant out end of May at the same time sow some that I have germinated on wet kitchen roll.  Not sure what the results will be but having a bash.
My memory isn't as sharp as it used to be, also my memory isn't as sharp as it used to be

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 16:50 »
Last two years ive transplanted french beans and when transplanted they always flop over or the stalk breaks where it meets the soil.

Any idea?

I've never had any problem at all with French beans. I've always started them off in pots then transplanted when they were bigger, and they've always romped away as soon as they were transplanted. They're not getting too leggy and weak-stemmed through lack of light, are they?

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 17:58 »
The last couple of years I've found french beans do better sown direct outside (around mid May hopefully to come up beginning of June). However last year I tried this with runner beans as well and they mostly didn't come up so I had to start some more in the greenhouse.
Rachael

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 19:31 »
Any idea?
They're not getting too leggy and weak-stemmed through lack of light, are they?

No the are kept where they get sunlight majority of the day. Dont seem to have this problem with aything else - maybe ive just been unlucky and transplanted on a windy day perhaps

edit to clarify quotes
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 19:50 by mumofstig »

Gandan57

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 19:35 »

Any idea?

When you transplant them, plant them deeper than they were growing in the pot. Bury half the stem in the soil and this will help protect them against winds.
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

stentman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 20:03 »
Thanks for the info so far seems my runners and french could well be ready a tad sooner than would be ideal for them and the weather. Sadly I have no seed packets to refer to for the Galaxy or Primel varieties as me and friends swop plants, seeds etc amongst ourselves to try different things. Time for another trip to the site search button and maybe even the odd google or two. April in the Midlands is almost sure to be due some more frost before early May but I can only hope I get very lucky.

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 22:34 »
Glad you've posted this thread as I've been puzzling on how to position my french green beans (Blue Lake), courgettes  (zucchini) & sweetcorn (incredible f1) to grow companionably.

Do I start them off indoors mid April then plant them outside once hardened off next month? Or start them indoors in May........? 

compostqueen

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 09:05 »
Yes I'd do that Stentman as it's worth getting the low down on sowing instructions to avoid disappointment. It's all on good old google  :D

I googled some sowing instructions for a particular variety of spinach I was growing. When I googled it I found that it wasn't spinach at all  ::)

suziet88

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 10:15 »

Any idea?

What about sowing them individually in toilet roll tubes?  Then you can transplant whole thing without disturbing them.

xx
is a string bean a runner bean? and a harricot bean a butter bean?

Started by KingEdward on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 27, 2009, 14:06
by Ice
xx
French bean & Runner bean timing advice..

Started by jsgreen89 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 22:18
by Ice
xx
Confused!

Started by suesowsseed on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 06, 2010, 19:54
by Trillium
xx
Confused

Started by sparky on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post January 18, 2008, 18:02
by fletch

Page created in 0.55 seconds with 30 queries.