Confused

• 20 Replies

sparky

Confused
« on: January 17, 2008, 14:13 »
I need a simple explanation of the terms 1st earlies, 2nd earlies, maincrop etc, best planting times in the north of england, and the time difference between planting the tubers so the harvest doesn't overlap (or does this not matter?
Sorry to seem ignorant but I'm still a virgin at plot owning.
One more, When the 1st earlies are lifted what would be a suitable edible crop to put in their place?
If it's in the glossary any chance of a link?
Thanks
Bill :)

WG.

Confused
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 14:17 »
I assume you mean potatoes?  Link to Glossary and WYSIWYGGY in my signature.

I'm off for a kip but will answer properly when I get up unless someone else has.

(moved your thread to GYO) :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Confused
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 14:34 »
Hi sparky - this is the wigglywaggy link...

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=10941&highlight=wysiwyggy+potato

Basically it's a way of showing the suitability of each spud for planting times. The earlier the spud the less suitable it is for storage, (generally), hence the earlies are usually used up as 'new' potatoes & main crop, which are planted later, for storage.

If your earlies are out of the ground soon enough, you can plant stuff like leeks, for one example. I've sown peas in the past, which were cropping October.

You can leave it for a while & put your winter cabbage etc. in that patch. There are quite a few other things and I'm sure people will add to the list.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

gobs

Confused
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 14:35 »
They won't normally catch up even if you plant them at the same time.
A lot of people follow with leeks, but also can be used for tender summer crops which only can go out in June, provided you well feed them, as both are hungry crops generally.

Also bril planting info by DD in How to grow it Wissy/veg index/pot/planting.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

GreenOwl

Confused
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 14:36 »
I follow my early spuds with courgettes and sweetcorn.  I start the courgettes and sweetcorn off in the mini green house so they're ready to go out when the spuds come up (early June usually).

Overlapping spud harvest doesn't usually matter.  Maincrop spuds will store in a cool dry place, earlies don't store so well.

DD.

• Global Moderator
Confused
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 14:52 »
Quote from: "gobs"

Also bril planting info by DD in How to grow it Wissy/veg index/pot/planting.

Why thank you gobs, I'm all embarrassed now! :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

paintedlady

Confused
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 15:01 »
In my 1st & 2nd early potatoe bed I followed on with leeks, and after the salad potatoes, that bed became the purple sprouting brocolli bed (after liming)  I dug up the maincrop when blight struck, so it was odd having a spare bed which should have been occupied until at least September but was soon housing a couple of courgettes and lettuce that were originally destined for the compost bin as surplus to requirements! :wink:
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

crowndale

Confused
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 15:49 »
I'm really happy tonite, my seed spuds have arrived and I have so many!!  I shall have to give a few away but its so nice to have the space this year having got the plot now that I am not having to give away half of them like I did last year.  so got 66 seed spuds sat in egg boxes chitting. sigh, simple pleasures!!!  :wink:
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

fletch

• Experienced Member
Confused
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 17:23 »
Now I'm confused  :?

According to that link, most people plant their "earlies" mid-late March.

I've just been to the local GC today and it's full of seed potatoes, earlies/mids and lates. Will they all last till then?
First timer, NOT enjoying the backache anymore!

WG.

Confused
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 17:26 »
Quote from: "fletch"

I've just been to the local GC today and it's full of seed potatoes, earlies/mids and lates. Will they all last till then?
Yup.  If you are a tuber, that's what you do.  :wink:

splodger

Confused
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 17:31 »

yes - you have to chit them - so they get short strong sprouts on them

place them in a cool but light area - away from frost, mice and rats  :wink:

if the shoots become long and spindly - then it's too dark for them

don't worry - everyone has their own little way of doing things - last year - my earlies went in end feb if i recall - and my mains a few weeks later

fletch

• Experienced Member
Confused
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 17:35 »
:D  I guess I asked for that.

I was just wondering if they were doing that thing some GC's do with bedding plants  - you know, start selling them in late Feb knowing that they'll kark it and you have to buy more.

I'll have to go back and buy some then. They had TONS of varieties to choose from.

I only really like new potatoes. (So that an "early", have I got that right?) What would folks recommend?

WG.

Confused
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 17:38 »
Earlies  - you might want to read through the varieties folks have posted.  Click WYSIWYGGY in my signature, then Index of VEG, then potato varieties

DD.

• Global Moderator
Confused
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 17:46 »
:D  I guess I asked for that.

I was just wondering if they were doing that thing some GC's do with bedding plants  - you know, start selling them in late Feb knowing that they'll kark it and you have to buy more.

I'll have to go back and buy some then. They had TONS of varieties to choose from.

I only really like new potatoes. (So that an "early", have I got that right?) What would folks recommend?

You'll be well advised to get them now whilst they still have the choice. You only have to read through the posts on here to see how eager folk get to get their hands on their taters!

splodger

Confused
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 17:47 »
Quote from: "WG."
Earlies  - you might want to read through the varieties folks have posted.  Click WYSIWYGGY in my signature, then Index of VEG, then potato varieties

you are turning into a bit of a wysiwyggy pimp  :wink:

xx
I'am confused

Started by hiccup on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 20, 2014, 22:24
by gavinjconway
xx
a bit confused now

Started by the spiv on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 23, 2012, 23:07
by RichardA
xx
Very confused about Tom

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 01, 2007, 23:11
by Aunt Sally
xx
Bit confused

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 15, 2009, 17:43
by aelf

Page created in 0.402 seconds with 36 queries.