Red Ants

• 5 Replies

otis pony

• Experienced Member
Red Ants
« on: April 04, 2011, 15:08 »
I have a problem with red ants in parts of my vegetable patch. Every year I dig their nests out and put them in the garden bin for the council to deal with, or pour boiling water on them but they always recover. 

My question is:  would it be fair to put the hens out to sort them out, or would they get bitten like the rest of us? :unsure:
...............happiness is wanting what you have, not having what you want.................

viettaclark

Re: Red Ants
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 23:51 »
I know mine like a tasty meal of black ants but as I've got no red ones I can't say.
You would think it wouldn't affect them....think anteater....

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 08:11 »
Chickens generally eat anything moving on the ground so I think they would eat them and I think the Chicken could be bitten just look us
1 Great Husband, 2 Children, 1 Grandson, 2 Allotments & Secretary, 3 Buff Orpington, 2 Friesian, 2 Barnevelder, 2 Dogs 1 Cocker Spaniel and the other X Labrador, 1 Chinchilla, 1 Cat, 2 Guinea Pigs, 2 Horse and look after 2 more, must be mad

Helenaj

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 15:50 »
Dig the ground over regularly to expose the ant eggs - your hens will love those and it kills off any future generations. Hens are pretty hardy - they come across ant nests when free ranging, so must be able to deal with them. Just keep an eye on them initially to make sure that the red ants are no more of a nuisance to your hens than the black ant.

evie2

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 16:06 »
Don't know if this would be any help, however it works a treat with black ants.

If you put pure essential oil of Peppermint into any holes you see, the ants evacuate the nest, daughter no3 did it one evening, unbeknown to us, before we went out for a meal.

Came back and the inside of the hall and living room was covered in the b****rs, walking, flying, carrying grubs, makes me itch just thinking about it.

Anyway you could maybe sprinkle some on the dug over nest, but remember don't get it on your hands and keep your chickens off it if you do :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

ehs284

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 18:56 »
Ours won't touch ants.

xx
Ants

Started by SOURIS on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 17, 2007, 22:20
by SOURIS
xx
Ants!!!

Started by evie2 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 16, 2011, 21:57
by evie2
xx
ants!

Started by wadz81 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 11:58
by wadz81
xx
Ants

Started by Janschooks on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 13, 2009, 11:57
by agingchick

Page created in 0.444 seconds with 28 queries.