Siting of compost bins...

• 8 Replies

Siouxfly

• Experienced Member
Siting of compost bins...
« on: April 02, 2011, 09:42 »
I'm moving things around so that I can make more growing space and I now need to move the compost bins so is it a good idea to place them on the edge or in the middle of my biggest veg. bed or not?
I'm thinking the bins would help feed the crops through the year.
I'm asking because everywhere I look folk have their bins huddled in the corner of their plots, mine would pretty much be in the middle.
I noticed that the weeds growing around them last year were 'very' healthy so I'm assuming there must be some run off which might benefit my choice plants this year instead.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Siting of compost bins...
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 09:59 »
I wouldn't put it in the middle of the bed.  It will create shade and I don't think the beneficial area will spread out far from the actual bin (I moved mine some years ago and the area it had been was clearly defined by the height of the spuds the following year!).

Any weeds that spread out will only compete with your crops and potentially be difficult to remove.

I'd keep it out of the way at the side and maximise your growing potential / flexibility on the bed.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

N.WalesIdealist

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 10:17 »
Sticking them in the middle is a bad idea, they'll shade your plants of rain and sun, as Yorkie says.

Along an edge would be ok, but I think most people leave them in the corners just because they're out of the way!  Make sure they won't shade anything if you are putting them on an edge, and you should be ok.

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 14:45 »
You need a workable area around the bin for getting the barrow in and out for filling and emptying purposes so the middle of the bed is a poor idea. You can have an area in the centre of the plot just for the bins as they do like full sun, and if you have enough room, why not. Mine are lined up on the edges of my plot in the hedge bottom but they do get plenty of sun

Gandan57

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 01:51 »
Surely for the compost bin not to shade any crops it has to go in the north east corner of the plot. But it can`t go there because that`s where the shed should be.
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 08:10 »
I suppose so but frankly, given the height of bins, then anywhere round the edge would be fine as it's unlikely to have a significant impact on nearby beds or neighbours' plots whereas a shed is a much bigger proposition.

The question related to growing plants in the immediate vicinity.

Nige2Plots

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 08:17 »
Mine are now sited on the worst parts of my plots. These are the corners that are prone to flooding and are always waterlogged.

Zippy

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 09:26 »
then again -

If you know you won't want access to the compost until say autumn at the end of the growing season or early spring before sowing/planting, you could potentially put your compost bin in the middle of the plot and grow something like Butternbut Squash or Pumpkin at the base of your bin and it would benefit from any run off and possibly even scramble over the bin as a framework. any weeds would then be suppressed by the vines.

I don't think I would do it though as I need access to and from my compost through the year. I just like to entertain the opposite side of an argument as I think it is healthy to do so.

fatcat1955

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 12:15 »
Depends on how big your plot is. I find it easier to have 2 areas for my bins, 1 at each end of the plot( saves the old legs). but i would not put them in the middle of my beds, it would be a nightmare trying to work around them.

xx
compost bins?

Started by krystal on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 10, 2011, 08:00
by daisy1990
xx
Compost Bins

Started by Sir Lance-Allot on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post January 15, 2009, 18:24
by joshwain
xx
Compost Bins

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post February 27, 2010, 21:50
by Swing Swang
xx
Has anyone tried hot compost bins? Are they worth it?

Started by Stuppla1 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 14, 2014, 10:21
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.437 seconds with 28 queries.