Manure..help

• 26 Replies

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
Manure..help
« on: August 22, 2007, 08:17 »
Before I go off making and a**e of myself asking about for manure.. is there different things to do with it??? Different kinds?
From what I understand there is Fresh manure and rotted manure, Fresh should be put on the compost heap and is good for heating it up (and so killing weeds that were put there by a kind helper husband) and making very good compost.
The other is rotted which can go on the ground now for over the winter ready for nice veg next year.. but not Roots??
Am I right??
The other question was that I seem to remember reading about having manure from farms and stables without hay or sawdust in it?? why is that then?? can we be that picky?? LOL

And finally do you guys just ring around local stables / ask on freecycle? and go shovel it yourselves?sorry for dim questions but I feel a bit more comfortable asking here than being asked questions when trying to blag free stuff!!
Oh and I saw a sign at the lottie advertising Mr.Muck manure delivered.. I guess it would be expensive, but anyone used it??

THANK YOU!!

WG.

Manure..help
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 08:56 »
IMHO here is a list of good and not-so-good attributes of manure for gardening purposes.  You might find this helpful as a checklist for choosing / searching :

GOOD
    free
    horse
    cow
    goat
    sheep
    rabbit
    guinea pig
    old
    delivered
    straw
    hemp
    hay (although no-one uses this as bedding for large animals)

NOT-SO-GOOD
    pig (can be high in copper)
    poultry (very high in nitrogen - use in compost heap)
    pigeon (hugely high in nitrogen - use in compost heap)
    shredded paper (causes nitrogen robbery)
    fresh (use in compost heap or stack for min 6 months)
    needs collected

NOT-SO-GOOD-AGAIN
    sawdust (causes nitrogen robbery so thin layers in compost heap or stack for 18 months)
    wood shavings (causes nitrogen robbery so thin layers in compost heap or stack for 18 months)

BAD
    cat (contain pathogens)
    dog (contain pathogens)
    human (contain pathogens)

muntjac

Manure..help
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 10:13 »
id agree with ya there WG  .remember tho rabbit poop can be used straight away no composting needed .  . hay is ok if its seed free if not your likly to get loads seeds both grown and windborn in it ,

incidently  i use it as bedding as well for my rabbits when im breeding em  :wink:
still alive /............

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Manure..help
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 11:51 »
Re: Sawdust & wood shavings, Can't see the probs in fresh as this need to be rotted down, yes may slow down the decomp process, but that can addressed by adding nitrogen rich stuff, urea, nettles etc

If you can collect Lucy I know someone who gives it away free, it's about 10 yr old & a bit difficult to get at as you have to barrow it across their lawn but worth it.

Mr Manure I've never heard off or used.

What about local riding stables they might be glad just to get rid of.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
Manure..help
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 13:31 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
Re: Sawdust & wood shavings, Can't see the probs in fresh as this need to be rotted down, yes may slow down the decomp process, but that can addressed by adding nitrogen rich stuff, urea, nettles etc

If you can collect Lucy I know someone who gives it away free, it's about 10 yr old & a bit difficult to get at as you have to barrow it across their lawn but worth it.

Mr Manure I've never heard off or used.

What about local riding stables they might be glad just to get rid of.

Thankyou my lovely Rich, 10 yr old stuff, wow that must be well rotted!! I think I have seen a sign in Thurcaston with a sign saying help yourself. Thing is, I don't have a trailer or any such thing, so we need it bagged (and can bag it ourselves) and to be abel to move it in the car (and I guess hold our noses? is it very smelly???)
Oh and I rang Mr. Muck and he charges £4.50 /25kg bag with min delivery of 30 bags... so expensive for what you'd need I guess, although he did say it was shredded and weed free.  but still over £100 is ALOT for SHITE!!!

WG.

Manure..help
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 14:25 »
Quote from: "loubylou29"
 he charges £4.50 /25kg bag with min delivery of 30 bags

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:  That's the equivalent of £180 per tonne!  I hope my neighbour doesn't read this since he delivers it to me in 10 tonne trailer loads, free of charge.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Manure..help
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 16:10 »
Think He's talking it at them prices, praying on people who can't get their own. :evil:

IMHO it don't smell too bad, just keep the windows down in the car  :lol:  strong bags are a must and waterproof covering for the car floor seats etc depends how much you want. I still got a small stain in mine when a bag leeked "juice" all onto the middle row of seats  :lol:  Kids wouldn't sit there for a week or so.

You used to be able to get a tractor load off the farmers for about 40 quid delivered, worth asking around can't think of any near you though. I'll ask at the lottie about it, we get a truck load from somewhere or other.

love-my-plot

• Experienced Member
Manure..help
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 17:00 »
The council gets it delivered to our lotties in MASSIVE piles ... no extra charge to us, so I guess it's covered in the £35 yearly rent  :D

si-mate

• Experienced Member
Manure..help
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 18:45 »
Riding stables will usually be pleased for you to turn up with a few bags and help yourself as they will usually have to pay to have it taken it away.
Anything straw based is best as it rots down faster than woodshavings and is more nutritious. Although if you can find a yard that uses hemp bedding as this rots down super fast and is really good for the soil.

Most farmers will be happy to deliver you a trailer load but will want something in return to cover their time and diesel. Also bear in mind that tractors and trailers need good access.

WG.

Manure..help
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 18:46 »
Good point si-mate, I've added hemp to my list above.

Trillium

Manure..help
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 19:27 »
I gave up on bags for manure, Louby, as they tended to tear from the shovel or sprout tiny holes as RR7 found. Now I've switched to plastic garbage bins with lids, not the wheely kind, but the round sort  that are about a metre (or less) tall. Mind, you'll need 2 people to lift it when it's full, but it doesn't leak nor tear. Once home, the bins get rinsed out for garbage duty again. Also works great to bring home wood chips for mulching. I always keep the windows open during the ride home.  :lol:

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
Manure..help
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 22:06 »
Thanks all,
I have found a local stables that you can help yourself to well rotted stuff so plan a few trips there in the coming weeks. (Wish I knew someone with a trailer!!) never mind a few trips.
Thanks for tips re bags/ bin and linings/ will report back..

L.xxx

mkhenry

Manure..help
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 22:30 »
Like to check this with W_G but I thought that manure started to lose a lot of its goodness once it starts to get too old.The nutrients start to leach out quickly leaving just the bulk. :?

Also Geoff Hamilton Said that it matters not if it is fresh or rotten,it will not affect the plants.
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

WG.

Manure..help
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 22:32 »
I did rather wonder that myself Henry.  No problem if it has been covered but leaching is quite likely if not.

P.S. Don't let SEPA know about any 10yr old manure piles!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Manure..help
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 12:00 »
Dunno everything I'm growing in it seems to doing ok with it being so old I've used it as a growing medium and have filled some old curver boxes and planted direct, Lot of leaf though  :lol:

xx
Chicken Manure Pellets vs DIY Store Manure

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 20, 2014, 14:01
by Hampshire Hog
xx
How good is Pig Manure mixed with Horse Manure?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 05, 2011, 17:50
by MichelleC
xx
Green manure vs animal manure

Started by Jai on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 14:25
by Trillium
xx
Llama Manure and Manure in general

Started by Ace on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 02, 2011, 15:09
by Ace

Page created in 0.461 seconds with 28 queries.