Tomatoes in the office

• 12 Replies

Little Dibber

Tomatoes in the office
« on: March 31, 2011, 11:22 »
Hi There,

I had grown tomatoes in the office last year and got a very low yield, am wondering if this is pollination problems?

I have started from seed again this year but thinking if it is due to lack of bees then I am maybe only growing foliage  ::)

Also have some 100's + 1000's this year from seed, not sure again if they need bees?

Maybe I would be better with a few outdoor types for the plot...

LD
"Know that this is your God, who could not consent to send anyone else to save you, but would come himself that he might gain for himself all your love."
St Alphonsus Ligouri

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
Re: Tomatoes in the office
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 11:37 »
they dont necessarily need bees but they do need pollinating, which is usually done by bees and insects but you could have a go at doing it your self, either with a soft brush or by touching the flowers with your fingers

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 11:52 »
Send me your address and I'll send you a rabbits tail!  Ideal for the job - but not for the rabbit.   :D Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 12:08 »
If they flowered but didn't set well it must have been a pollination problem - the easiest remedy is to tap the stem of the plants from time to time to distribute the pollen (usually done around midday as the pollen is drier then but that's probably not an issue in an office!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Babstreefern

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 12:32 »
Funnily enough, I grew toms in the office last year (cherry type), and I also had a poor yield.  The ones at home I had great amount of fruiting.  I shook the plant, it was in continuous sunlight all day, every day and was warm.  However, I think I have the problem, in that being in an office, did they get watered at the weekend? :wub:  Mine didn't, to counter this, I put the pots in trays, but they still got a little dry by Monday.  Whereas at home, they are watered every single day :ohmy:
Babs

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 12:39 »
Which variety did you grow in the office last year, some are more prolific than others.
If you have good light and growth try removing  more leaves (you can prune hard with tomatoes) to encourage flower production and keep a soft artists brush handy to give the flowers a tickle.
Do not start feeding till the first fruit has set as this only encourages more leaf and less flower.

gillie

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 12:55 »
The plants just need shaking to pollinate them.  However they also need a fairly high humidity, which might be difficult in an office.  Spray them occasionally and stand the pot on a tray of shingle or something similar.

dig4victory

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 16:42 »
What sort of office are you growing in?  Are the plants near natural light or is it one of those hermetically sealed buildings with 'sick office syndrome'?

What I mean is, is there any fresh air movement or is it static with heating/air con?

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 17:48 »
Perhaps you could get a little sprayer and give them a mist after using the rabbit's tail or giving the stem a gentle shake to distribute the pollen. That should help the set.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Little Dibber

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 13:35 »
Thanks for all the replies, is a small personal office, a couple of windows so there is some air movement, I will try shaking the stemp and maybe dabbing the flowers with my finger this year and some misting :-)

Think it was likly alicante/gardners delight/shirley

This year have gardners delight (was thinking to try putting them oustside...) and 100's + 1000's which I have read up on again and can go in baskets/patio tubs, so will maybe try half in half out.

Also Thanks for the offer of the Rabbits tail, may come back to you on that one ;-)

Thanks again,
LD

RichardA

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 17:44 »
Concur with otehrs about fertilising and setting fruit but typical office dry atmosphere works against good tom yield so if you can I suggest that in addition to watering at roots also leave a dish of water near plants to evaporate into surrounding air.
R

8doubles

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 19:48 »
On the plus side they are unlikely to get blight. :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 20:51 »
On the plus side they are unlikely to get blight. :)

Always look on the bright side of life  ta dum ta dum  ;)

xx
My Office Experiment

Started by puravida on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 31, 2008, 14:52
by sweet nasturtium
xx
office shreddings

Started by cooperman on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 07, 2008, 23:52
by scentedstock
xx
away from my office - flooding my seed trays?

5 Replies
Last post March 19, 2008, 21:17
by agapanthus
xx
Office Greenhouse Experiment - Update (photos!)

5 Replies
Last post March 10, 2008, 21:06
by Clampit

Page created in 0.454 seconds with 29 queries.