Seperated chicken

• 6 Replies

rugbyman

Seperated chicken
« on: March 28, 2011, 18:15 »
This may be a long and sad post with spelling mistakes so I apoligise now.
A couple of weeks ago we noticed 1 of our 2 chickens had lost lots of feathers from her rear end, below her tail feathers down towards her legs, and was very raw and blooming. I was informed by someone my wife knows that we needed to seperate them as the other hen may be attracted to the blood and a canibalistic chick is not good. I seperated her from her friend during the day by letting the fit one out to roam around the garden and placing the poorly one in a cat basket at night, still within the chicken house. She has since , sorry about the term, but scabbed over and seems fine in herself. But, here come the sad bit, last weekend , not just gone but one before our neighbours dog somehow broke through the fence and got the fit chicken as she was out in the garden. :(
I now have 1 chicken who was safe in her run at the time but now lonely but still with a scabby rear.
I know that chickens do not like to be on their own but due to her prediciment when could I introduce new chickens to the run. It is difficult to keep them seperated in the run and let them out during the day as we both work and are worried about next doors dog.

Many thanks for any advice that you could give.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Seperated chicken
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 18:25 »
the reason for separating is because of infection, however as you have just 1 on her own the new ones will bond and then attack her as she will be an outsider to them. Just introducing new ones will be a risk (infection wise) but probably one worth taking, she will be the boss for a short while as they will be coming into her home (if you get them slightly younger she will also have that advantage over them), just make sure you get them from a reliable source, have purple spray to hand and that your neighbour sorts their dog out or at least their fence.
Introduce them at night whilst they are all sleepy, good luck  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

rugbyman

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 18:44 »
Thank you for your advice but as always it raises more questions.
She is about 18 months old and I would purchase new POL so there would be quite an age difference, we only had 2 to start with so could I just get 1 new chicken or would 2 be better?
What is purple spray?

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 18:51 »
2 point of lay would be better to stop one being on its own should something happen to the other (as has done so  :(). Perhaps try to get 2 from different pens but off the same breeder so that everybody will be new to each other  :).

Purple spray can be purchased from horsey type places - it is called purple spray but you can get other brands - it is Gentian violet spray so antibacterial and helps camoflage any blood and redness.

rugbyman

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 19:21 »
We were thinking of 1 hybred and one pure breed, would this work?
Sorry about all the questions :D

joyfull

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 19:24 »
get whichever hens you like the looks of  :)

karenjayne

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 13:18 »
we happily added 2  POL( different varity)  with no problems.  the older one was glad of the new company and showed them who was boss straight away.  it was particularly funny watching her chase them up to bed  the first few nights.   

xx
i havent seperated my broody??

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 30, 2012, 20:00
by ANHBUC
xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
Chicken Poo what do you do with yours?

Started by Bogof on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 19, 2010, 12:58
by joyfull
xx
Ill chicken

Started by mummychick on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 18, 2012, 18:55
by jhub

Page created in 0.265 seconds with 28 queries.