Can I put my 6 week chicks outside now?

• 9 Replies

Chickway

Can I put my 6 week chicks outside now?
« on: March 25, 2011, 09:48 »
Morning,  I have 6 week old partridge cochins (they are huge).  They are getting rather large for their indoor cage now and I have a nice rabbit hutch (adapted) and run for them inside the main large chicken run so they will be near the two 3 year old chickens but not able to get into any trouble.  They are out in the day in a run on the garden and then I move them in at night but am now concerned about the lack of space for them indoors and I wondered if I could now put them out in the rabbit hutch and run completely day and night.  There is 6 of them. 

Look forward to some advice.

Many thanks.

Casey76

Re: Can I put my 6 week chicks outside now?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 10:10 »
Hi chickway, just to confirm that the six chicks you have are six weeks old?  (It is so confusing talking about chick ages lol!)

How are the temperatures during the night in your area at the moment?

i would probably say that 6 x 6week old cochins will probably make quite a huddle, and that they would be OK during the night outside now.  You might find that their growth slows down a bit as they put more energy into keeping warm for the first week or so.

Chickway

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 10:20 »
Yes they are six weeks old.  They are fully feathered now and very large.  I thought that they might be ok but not very experienced.  It can a little chilly at night but its been lovely and warm in the day.  Should I put some extra food and water in the bed part at night for them or not.  Many thanks.

Dominic

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 10:26 »
You could always let them out for the day, and bring them back in at night.
Its still very very cold at night where I am, theres a very light frost on car windows at 6am...
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

Chickway

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 09:00 »
What a lovely morning.  My husband and 18 year old son have gone to march up Scarfel mountain in cumbria and its just me and my 11 year old son, so nice and peaceful.

Left my 6 week old partridge cochins in the rabbit house last night.  Covered it with a sheet but still allowed some  ventilation.  Kept going down through the evening to check they were ok and they were lovely and cosy and all cuddled together and were not making any noise.  Went down this morning and they were there waiting to be let out into the run.  I have to lift them out as they have not worked out the ladder yet.  Wont be long I am sure.

It was lovely and cosy in there and they felt lovely and warm to the touch.  The rabbit hutch is off the floor so I suppose this helps with it not getting to cold.  I am so pleased as they have alot more room in there rather than the cage indoors, plus I have some buff orpingtons and lavendar araucanas hatching on Mothers day.

Hope everybody enjoying this lovely weather. x xxx

hen maiden

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 10:18 »
Glad you are having a good weekend, it is lovely isn't it. I live in Dorset and went to Cerne Abbas for a cream tea yesterday it was gorgeous. This morning I will be cleaning out and poultry shielding the hen house. Your chicks sound adorable. I enjoyed your positive post. I think having hens makes for happy people.

Chickway

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 10:23 »
I think this weather you enjoy your chickens more because cleaning is a pleasure also.  I am going to clean my little chicks out today too.  We had another good night with them last night,  it was a chillier night last night but they were still lovely and warm in the morning and have been able to integrate the two legbars in with them also (they are only a week younger than the cochins but half the size) I am so pleased as one of the legbars is a cock so will have to be rehomed so the girlie would be on her own but now she is in with the cochins she will be fine.  I think that because the cochin are so docile it makes life easier.  They have much more room to play about outside and they seem really happy. :D

Its nice to hear what people have been up to. xxxx

Dominic

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 09:10 »
My husband and 18 year old son have gone to march up Scarfel mountain in cumbria
Be sure to point out its only a hill, not tall enough to be a mountain :tongue2:

hillfooter

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 11:22 »
Provided they are off heat ie you have hardened them off by being in an unheated outhouse, and you are putting them in a house with an attached run so they can roost at night they will be fine outside once they are feathered and at 6 weeks they should be.  I usually put mine out at 5 to 6 weeks depending on the day time temperature.  They sould be able to huddle up at night.

You will need to acclimatise them to their house by keeping them in or closely confined in an attached run for 24 hours or so.  Once they know where home is they will roost each night on their own though you may need to usher them in at dusk to start with.

No food or water is needed during the hours they roost and indeed it's best they don't have any as water will be spilled and food in the house will get scattered about and encourage vermin & the chx to forage in the fouled litter.  Best to keep the food raised up to back height (to prevent fouling and discourage vermin) under cover in the run.  Water should be stood on bricks to chest height as if hung in a confined space it will be knocked against and spilt.
All the best,
HF
Truth through science.

Chickway

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 16:40 »
I think it felt like a mountain to them they are rather aching today. Thanks Dominic

xx
Integrating 4 week and 3 week chicks

Started by Chickway on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post March 08, 2011, 08:19
by Chickway
smiley
Help - New 1 week old chicks arriving next week!

Started by Stablechooks on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 12, 2009, 23:16
by Poolfield2
xx
Looking after 8 week old chicks

Started by wendyg on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 20, 2011, 16:54
by joyfull
xx
Day old/week old chicks

Started by rugbymad40 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 14, 2007, 21:02
by WG.

Page created in 0.358 seconds with 31 queries.