Beginnger Questions - Taters

• 5 Replies

tudou

Beginnger Questions - Taters
« on: March 24, 2011, 09:57 »
Hi all,

Just moved into my first house last year and have undertaken the process of clearing all the gravel chips out the garden to reveal some rather nice soil.

So far I've got about 12 square metres dug up and raked. I was planning on chucking some Arran Pilots in the ground, but this is my first attempt at doing any kind of gardening  ???, can anyone offer some guidance?

The area we live in is built on old farm land and my neighbour said the soil is quite good as a result. The garden area is raised up and on a slope with a retaining wall in front.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Beginnger Questions - Taters
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 10:15 »
Welcome to the site!

Please add your approximate location to your "Forum profile information" (click on your username in this thread.) This can help with giving more suitable replies to your questions.

You seem to have got some decent soil to start off with and don't need to restrict yourself to just growing spuds.

A good place to start reading up about what you could grow, and how, is here:

http://www.allotment-garden.org/growing_information.php
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

tudou

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 10:36 »
I also bought some seed packets of carrots, broccoli and squash. I hope I'm right in thinking that I should probably hold off on planting until sometime in April, just in case there's another frost (not at all unlikely here).

I was also curious, should I level off the area I'm planting on? I was just concerned that when it rains it might wash some soil away or am I just being paranoid and so long as the soil is well dug it should absorb most of the water.

Thanks!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 11:11 »
If the soil is retained by the wall at its lowest end I can't see why you would lose any (if it was solid clay you could have a problem with run-off from your garden (or even neighbouring gardens) but I would think such problems are quite unusual in normal circumstances, and you say the soil is quite decent stuff so you should be OK.

We have several members from Scotland who hopefully can advise you about what does and doesn't grow (winter squashes might be a bit tricky, but that's a guess...........)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 13:37 »
We have several members from Scotland who hopefully can advise you about what does and doesn't grow (winter squashes might be a bit tricky, but that's a guess...........)

All the crops you mention grow fine for us here, but we are very western and far south compared to your location. We tend to go by the middle to later end of the planting times given. There are those further north and east who might like to give their opinions too. :) We tried outdoor cucumber last year ::), as its very sunny on our site but they had to go indoors and then flourished. Sweet peppers also ripen rather late in the season to be of much use, but apart from that you can grow most things. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

tudou

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 15:42 »
Sounds good. Once I tidy up the garden a bit and get rid of the rest of the gravel, we should have a feast on our hands :D

xx
Taters

Started by Beejay on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 19, 2008, 16:46
by gobs
grin
What a lot of taters!!!

Started by paulsol on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 07, 2013, 22:33
by Sparkyrog
xx
Taters

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

39 Replies
Last post October 19, 2008, 19:14
by franmeerkat
xx
Err...Christmas taters?

Started by tosca100 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 11, 2010, 09:44
by Bizzi Lizzi

Page created in 0.408 seconds with 30 queries.