help with orps

• 6 Replies

lyndyloo

help with orps
« on: March 21, 2011, 09:47 »
i brought two buff orps at the weekend , alarm bells should have started ringing because one has a sore eye,which seems blue in colour and  although he said they were about eight months old one is alot bigger than the other ,they both seem perky enough and are eating and drinking.
they dont have any combs is this normal for that age, still glad i brought them they didnt look that well cared for any advise would be appreciated thankyou

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: help with orps
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 09:59 »
have you got these chickens seperate from any others?
Staffies are softer than you think.

lyndyloo

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 12:11 »
yes  there in a different area of the garden so they wont come into contact at all

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 12:25 »
could you take a photo to show the eye?
is it the pupil that's blue, the iris or the white? is the pupil round?
Any other symptoms (the smaller sized one could be the runt of the  hatch - I have had these and they sadly haven't made it to the laying stage however with yours if they hadn't been looked after well it could be the circumstance of her upbringing  :(

Casey76

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 14:11 »
just another point o add on to Joyfulls reply, orpingtons normally don't grow much of a comb.  They are very small and neat, close to their head.  At eight months, they should be close to laying, but with orpingtons, as with other large breeds, often don't start laying ontil they are a lot older then the lighter breeds :)

lyndyloo

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 15:34 »
ive uploaded two pics one left eye one right you should be able to tell which is which,i had to take them through the run mesh as they are both very skitish at the moment,the guy said he never has wormed them so i started that on saturday no other symptoms really only she dose tend to look at you through the good eye as if she cant see thanks so much for all your advise
good eye.jpg
bad eye.jpg

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 15:38 »
that eye doesn't look too good at all does it. I would take her to a vet, she may be blind in it through being pecked, or she may have an infection in it from again being pecked or from dirt or pooh getting in it. If it is the latter then a course of topical antibiotics should sort it out (although the vet may need to take swabs to get cultivated to see what bacteria is growing in it).

xx
12 week Orps on growers - When can I

Started by jo40 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 30, 2009, 22:54
by jo40

Page created in 0.706 seconds with 38 queries.