Oranges and lemons say the bells....

• 19 Replies

Anton

« on: August 16, 2007, 14:35 »
Our self-appointed allotment gaffer told me off (nicely) the other day for chucking citrus fruit on the compost.  She told me they smell and are no good for the compost. A was a bit surprised. A trawl through the Internet tells me they attract fruit flies and are highly acidic. Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

Anton

Poppy Rowan

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 14:53 »
All I can say is 'oops'. I am guilty of chucking citrus fruit in the compost.  :shock: I just assumed it would break down like everything else.
I haven't noticed any fruit flies or bad small though if its any consolation  :D

Poppy

mushroom

Re: Oranges and lemons say the bells....
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 15:03 »
Quote from: "Anton"
Our self-appointed allotment gaffer told me off (nicely) the other day for chucking citrus fruit on the compost.  She told me they smell and are no good for the compost. A was a bit surprised. A trawl through the Internet tells me they attract fruit flies and are highly acidic. Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

Anton

Citrus is acidic, the more acidic the better it preserves, or keeps. Oil in citrus skins is, I think, antibacterial. This is precisely the opposite of what you want to happen in your compost heap.  :shock:

muntjac

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 15:22 »
the oil in citrus fruits is unfortunatly not antibacterial it is a parrafin type oil if you tell the growers in belize not to use the skins they will laugh at you .... its all useful organic matter . fear not the lady gaffer  :wink:
still alive /............

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 15:34 »
All my citrus goes into the compost and when it's done, you can't tell the difference. On occasion we find a forgotten bit of lemon in the fridge covered in fuzz so there goes the theory of it not composting.
Personally, I find when people say something doesn't work, then it's only because that person really doesn't like that particular item.

mushroom

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 17:32 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
On occasion we find a forgotten bit of lemon in the fridge covered in fuzz so there goes the theory of it not composting.

well, everything rots... e v e n t u a l l y. But here we are talking in the context of a compost heap. Even granite will rot, we're not about to compost it, are we? I know that eventually, a halved lemon in the fridge will fuzz up. But are lemons known for rotting quickly or efficiently?. Is citric acid not a preservative?

Quote from: "Trillium"
Personally, I find when people say something doesn't work, then it's only because that person really doesn't like that particular item.

Actually, I rather like lemons. I am growing lemon basil on the allotment, and  I shall have a slice of lemon in my G&T when I get home!  :wink:

mushroom

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 17:40 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
the oil in citrus fruits is unfortunatly not antibacterial

On this occasion you appear to be incorrect:

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6882/6/39

" In the present study, cinnamon, lime, geranium, rosemary, orange, lemon
and clove oils were found to be equally effective against both gram-positive
and gram-negative organisms."

Sally A

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 20:07 »
Next door dug his excess apples into the ground last year, and the acidity had a detrimental effect on his onion sets this year, they were about half the size.

mkhenry

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 23:33 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
the oil in citrus fruits is unfortunatly not antibacterial it is a parrafin type oil if you tell the growers in belize not to use the skins they will laugh at you .... its all useful organic matter . fear not the lady gaffer  :wink:

Munty is spot on................Try this. Peel a fresh orange(the fresher the better).Take a chunk of peel bend it so the the pith is on the inside and the orange skin is on the outside.Light a match and hold it a little away from the peel,and squeeze.A little spray of juice will squirt out and on reaching the flame will ignite.You can run a car very well on pure concentrated orange juice.The trouble is it would cost  around £50 a litre. :wink:

There are other fruits etc that will do this.The best is a simple peanut.Stick one on a cocktail stick and light it.Makes a great little candle.

Please be very careful :cry: if you try the above. :cry:
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

WG.

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 09:05 »
Quote from: "mkhenry"
The best is a simple peanut
The diesel engine was originally developed to run on peanut oil

mushroom

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 10:01 »
Completely agree that various veg oils make good fuel.. but the OP's question was about suitability of citrus peelings on the compost heap

deneview

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 10:37 »
i cant imagine how the small quantity of citrus fruit skins from the average house would have any significant impact on your compost, esp if using big pallet sized compost bins, if they have not rotted throw them back in for another yr. better on my heap than in the landfill,

WG.

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 10:38 »
Quote from: "mushroom"
Completely agree that various veg oils make good fuel.. but the OP's question was about suitability of citrus peelings on the compost heap
So ... this is the very first thread which has meandered off subject then!  :wink:

mushroom

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 10:43 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
So ... this is the very first thread which has meandered off subject then!  :wink:

LOL of course, err  :lol:

Trillium

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 17:45 »
Composting is essentially rotting down of plant matter, but some items do take longer. citrus peels may be a bit slower, but 'finished' compost is usually sieved before use to take out unfinished items to recompost.  I certainly wouldn't bury citrus, or even those apples, directly into the ground, which is why I have a line of compost bins for various items like certain kitchen wastes which are slower vs the bins for leaves and green matter. Whatever turns your crank, mushroom  :wink:  :lol:

xx
too many oranges and lemons

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 08, 2008, 22:38
by annie b
xx
Lemons

Started by strangerachael on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 18:10
by LilacSandy
xx
Harvesting lemons

Started by lfcevans on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 14, 2012, 18:11
by gavinjconway
sad
Lemon tree - lacks lemons

Started by strangerachael on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 17, 2011, 14:28
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.664 seconds with 37 queries.