Couch Grass - the Plan

• 30 Replies

nickmcmechan

Couch Grass - the Plan
« on: March 13, 2011, 08:03 »
Just been doing a bit of googling on this as I've realised that digging all this out of my allotmnet is going to be a bit much. Also, I'm out of action just now and for a couple of weeks as I got carried away chopping vegetables and managed to lop the end of my thumb off!!!  :ohmy:

The new plan is to apply Glyphosate at the beginning of April and leave for 3 weeks. Then spread compost over the allotment and rotivate in (apparently you should leave the ground for 3 weeks after application according to the RHS website for Couch Grass)

This should set me up to start planting Easter Week.  :)

Anything else I need to do? And, when should I start using slug pellets?

Nikkithefoot

Re: Couch Grass - the Plan
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 08:43 »
You will still need to do a bit of digging to remove the fibrous roots that remain. They may be dead, but are still very strong (someone described them as piano strings once). It will be much easier to dig though than when it was alive.

I would only apply slug pellets once my plants were in.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Nige2Plots

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 08:58 »
I would not rotovate until you are sure all of the Couch is dead. They just love to be chopped into little pieces and spread around the plot to carry on growing. Digging and digging again is the method I used.

Gandan57

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 09:10 »
Sorry to hear about your thumb- that`s a drastic way to lose weight!

I took my plot over at the end of July last year and the weeds were eighteen inches high. They were sprayed and most of the plot was dug in November.

Well now the couch is beginning to grow again, though not as mnuch as before. The best tool to deal with this is my three pronged canterbury hoe, an invaluable piece of kit.
SUCAN17734_3.jpg
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 09:10 »
Agree totally about rotavating.

When i took my allotment i got there and was so impressed - the council had rotavated.

However a month or so later it was worse than ever!

The way i attacked it was a little at a time. Dig a bed, dig it again, and again and again!!

Each time you weaken it - it can grow back off the smallest piece.

It really is hard work - but i think it gets the best results.

Good luck with it.

Azazello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 09:24 »
My plot had been left for a few years before I took it on.

The plot was completely infested with couch grass.

What I found is that there's no substitute for digging. I used Roundup one year - it was OK but I don't recall it really helping that much.

Once your new plot's clear, I guess the thing to do would be to put some kind of physical barrier round the edge of your plot to stop the couch grass growing back in.

I've not done that (yet) but am sorely tempted!

Azazello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 09:26 »
Sorry to hear about your thumb- that`s a drastic way to lose weight!

I took my plot over at the end of July last year and the weeds were eighteen inches high. They were sprayed and most of the plot was dug in November.

Well now the couch is beginning to grow again, though not as mnuch as before. The best tool to deal with this is my three pronged canterbury hoe, an invaluable piece of kit.

I'm going to get me one of those - looks brilliant!

Gandan57

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 09:43 »
My hoe is made by Compass, there was just one left in my local Roundtrees garden centre- cost me £24 though!

moody

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 11:10 »
I have exactly the same problem on our plot. We've got it covered in old carpet since last June, and I'd say we've got almost half dug, weeded and ready to go.  I can't recommend a three pronged right angled fork and an Azada enough. They make clearing and digging so much easier.

As for the rest of it, I thought about giving this a go: http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/feb/26/alys-fowler-lasagne-gardening?INTCMP=SRCH

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 11:16 »
Welcome to the site moody  :D

I would suggest you consider lifting the carpet sooner rather than later.  Couch grass is notorious for growing through it and a member on here has slipped a disc trying to lift carpet in the same situation as you.

It will also increasingly disintegrate, potentially releasing toxins into the soil as it does so.  Some sites ban its use and for a good reason.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

moody

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 11:24 »
many thanks ;-)

I had the same thought, hence looking at the lasagne method.  Was thinking about using for fruit and stuff, but not made my mind up yet!

nickmcmechan

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 13:52 »
hmmm, the hands are out of action so i'm struggling to gewt in there and fork up the couch grass in the next few weeks

did a bit ore research and perhaps it will take 2 applications of glyphosphate before i start preparing for planting. i really want to fork it out myself but the injury and healing time is preventing this

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 06:03 »
I'm so sorry you have all that as well - especially with a chopped digit, which must be incredibly painful!

It's taken us about 50 hours digging and individual clearing of each spit, to get about forty wheelbarrows of the stuff out of a half plot, but why not consider the way we did that?

Dig a row of - say twelve spits, just turn each one forward, and sit on a low stool with a short handled hoe, (strong enough to clout each lump), and break it up, but not allowing the blade to cut it too much, because you'll finish up with more small pieces, like after cultivating.

It takes a long time, but isn't wearing on the back, and as long as you do it an hour at a time, it can be quite therapeutic!

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 07:07 »
There is no easy way around it, Dig,Dig,Dig and Dig spraying will help but be careful of wind-blow as other plot holders might get the hump. 
Thanks
Kris

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 10:10 »
I'm in the same boat as you... new allotment completly covered in couch grass!  I am digging over the majority and picking over by hand then re-digging.  I know I will have missed some but hopefully i'll have made some impact!

On the last section (4x5m) I plan to strim and lay down weed membrane for 11months or so.  I'll plant squashes, pumpkins and courgettes through the fabric so I can continue to use the ground.  Other members on here have had success with laying down cardboard and putting over a thick layer of manure and leaving it for a year.

xx
Couch Grass

Started by Acronis on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 27, 2010, 14:29
by Christine
xx
couch grass

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post October 22, 2012, 10:44
by djbnat
xx
Couch Grass

Started by jameshuk on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 22, 2008, 07:56
by digby
xx
Couch grass

Started by Candide on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 31, 2022, 10:54
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.518 seconds with 29 queries.