Forsythia problem

• 3 Replies

jonewer

• Experienced Member
Forsythia problem
« on: March 12, 2011, 16:55 »
I bought a Forsythia a week or two ago from pound stretcher. It was a bare-root job and already in leaf.

I soaked the roots and planted and it seemed to be doing well until today when I noticed the leaves are severly mottled with a blanched looking affliction.  :(

Does anyone know what is causing this and what to do about it?

Thanks!

Trillium

Re: Forsythia problem
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 16:59 »
Problem is that the plant was not first hardened off before going outside. It went from the weak light of a shop and straight into full spectrum daylight - hence, the leaf blanching.

You could leave it outside and hope new healthier leaves appear. Or, you can dig up the plant, pot it, leave it inside but daily put it outside for 30 minutes or so to slowly adapt to the much stronger outside light. In a week you can leave it out an hour then build up to a few hours. In 3-4 weeks you can replant outside. You'll not get flowers this year since it's already leafed, but it will perform next year for you. Don't feed with high nitrogen fertilizer as this will overly stress the plant.

jonewer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 18:41 »
Thanks Trillium, thought that might be it but was hard to imagine anything getting sunburnt in this watery sunshine.

I'l dig it up and repot. (un)fortunately I have a north east facing garden so I'll place it somewhere in the shade then move it to full sun over the course of the next month or so.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 20:32 »
Even watery sunshine contains UV rays, which are doing the damage. I've gotten sunburned on enough overcast days to know it can and does happen.

xx
Forsythia

Started by Casey76 on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post April 29, 2010, 22:07
by Casey76
xx
Killing a forsythia

Started by aqua on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post June 15, 2011, 15:18
by aqua
xx
Pruning forsythia

Started by mumofstig on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post December 03, 2008, 09:38
by mrs bouquet
xx
another day another problem!!!!

Started by ToHellWithWeeds! on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post November 17, 2007, 21:42
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 36 queries.