stoats or weasel spotted...

• 5 Replies

hennyandpenny

stoats or weasel spotted...
« on: March 10, 2011, 22:44 »
Hello again,thanks for the info about the dreaded redmite,have got some treatment and disinfectant to hopefully sort them out. BUT looking out the kitchen window this morning at the chook house I saw something(quite long,light in colour) scurry from the back garden wall(where there's a stream on the other side) to the chook house! I thought it may be a rat so shot out to see(and batter it!) Could'nt see it at 1st then spotted it inside the run about to go in the chook house when it spotted me and legged it.I googled and its deffo a stoat or weasel. I think it's been going into the house for the chook food/we've been getting our normal quota of eggs latley but am worried will it go for my 2 chooks?(They are a lot larger than the stoat/weasel that I spotted) Been out trying to block any gaps and have got normal chook wire+ fine mesh(had to stop all the wild birds going in and emptying the chooks food bowl!) all around the run but think its impossible to keep out these critters! 

akwebb

Re: stoats or weasel spotted...
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 23:21 »
Im no expert, but im sure that stoat definitity licking his lips at the site of your lovely plump chickens! They may be tiny, but they are strong! Ive heard their strength is equivalent to us humans lifting an elephant...not sure how true this is tho!  :tongue2:
wannabe smallholder

Pertelotte

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 23:43 »
Chicken Colditz!

Lots of ideas combined together to keep the little darlings out. you want to make the garden unattractive to predators and your girls really hard work to get at. easy to say...

L shaped aviary mesh buried under the ground, preferably with hard floor (paving slabs, gravel etc) to discourage little blighters digging under the wire. Chicken wire is too weak (even a bunny can snip through it - I found out the hard way).

If you can get a current going through it, so much the better.

Keep spilt food to a minimum (try feeding on a tray so spilt stuff can be swept up) and try and mask the smell of your chooks with garlic and other smelly plants. Or stray teenager. (Will repel anything, even biological parents if unwashed for long enough.) Try disturbing the ground at the edge of the garden. it might make them nervous, but you will be leaving human smells behind - and we are top predators!

An ideal is to keep the chooks somewhere close to the house, and solid like a garage, preferably used by people. it won't stop them, but they'll think twice. (I'm the saddo who wired a radio and light under the shed to discourage foxes from making a den)

Maybe attracting wildlife will create a means of polishing off unwanted chicken food and provide an alternative food source for the predators. Best done in long term with careful planting of bushes hedges etc. Failing that a fruit bush will keep the voles and birds full. Just don't go thinking you'll get some as well - those animals are professionals! Other plants such as gorse might make the entry into your garden less attractive. Be creative, or ask the RHS since they live for this stuff.

A fully armed SS-trained Alsatian with a rapidly reloading machine gun would also help, but may contravene council rules.

Good Luck!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 06:41 »
here is how to tell the difference, but agree you need to protect your chickens as it won't be their food that is after - your chickens are the food  :(.

http://www.wildlifebritain.com/stoatorweasel.php
Staffies are softer than you think.

SamnElla

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 20:58 »
A weasel is weasely recognised, whereas a stoat is stoatlly different
Sorry, I couldn't resist that !
The stoat has a black tip to it's tail.
Whichever one it is it will take your girls in an instant (I have a friend who lost all ten of her hens on Christmas day to a stoat) .
They nip the back of the neck to kill the hens
Full on protection is recommended.
Good Luck
It's all good in da wood

Oakdalebirds1

• Experienced Member
  • 3 Girls need more......
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 06:15 »
I have to agree with setting traps ,sorry if others are offended but they will kill what they want it just nature getting an :mellow: :mellow: easy meal
3 girls .............very addictive these girls are becoming

xx
Rats or weasel

Started by Charlwood1005 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 20, 2008, 11:30
by mercury
angry
stoats!!!

Started by purplebat on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post July 16, 2009, 17:49
by purplebat
xx
Stoats

Started by Prod on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 20, 2013, 10:55
by Prod
xx
Stoats and Arks

Started by marygall on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 19, 2010, 00:02
by marygall

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 30 queries.