crouching

• 11 Replies

maninvan

crouching
« on: March 07, 2011, 22:51 »
hello again, maybe another stupid question but what is it with my girls crouching? Ive been told that it's because they are broody or they are getting ready to lay which seems more likely as we got our first eggs last week from one of our girls. Their is various reasons when you google the question, but one thing is though they have become very clingy  hovering around my ankles when im in the garden and very easy to handle with or without a treat! Can anyone please shed some light on this, ta andy. :unsure:

hillfooter

Re: crouching
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 00:34 »
This is a hens mating submissive posture.  They squat (crouch down) with their wings held out stiffly with their tail up inviting a cock to mount them.  If there's no cock they will see you as the surrogate cock.  It shows they are sexually mature and are laying, or preparing to lay.  Usually a cock will trigger this behaviour by treading them (placing a foot on their tails or back) pushing them down,  When the hens squats the cock will jump on their back and grasp their hackles with their beaks high up on their heads to mate with them.

It's perfectly natural behaviour for a mature hen.
HF
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 20:03 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 16:08 »
Ooooh HF I am glad I am not a chicken  :D :D :D

They are so lovely when they do that, my girls started to do that and then as you say laid eggs very soon after that behaviour started.

I was told this is a good way for a keeper to show themselves as surrogate leader to the hens and it gives good opportunity for regular handling for health checks as well as a cuddle!

Broody  :happy:
if wishes were changes.......

jinty1911

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 20:39 »
I think curtsying is a more ladylike phase  :lol: Sometimes I just need to talk and they do it.  Funny  :D

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 21:05 »
I think curtsying is a more ladylike phase  :lol: Sometimes I just need to talk and they do it.  Funny  :D

Aren't you supposed to curtsy to the queen?    :unsure::ohmy:
HF

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 09:17 »
 :D :D :D oh folks that made me smile, what a lovely phrase

Broodiness HR :D :D

jinty1911

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 17:05 »

Aren't you supposed to curtsy to the queen?    :unsure::ohmy:
HF

That's what they are doing.   :tongue2: I'm their Queen of Mealworms  :lol:  :lol:

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 19:44 »
My lovely cuckoo maran curtsied today for the first time in two months and low and behold I noticed that her comb and wattles had gotten darker (I am sure they weren't that red yesterday!!).  When I checked for eggs this afternoon, she had laid a beautiful dark brown one for me :)

jinty1911

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 19:50 »
Aww Fantastic  :D  :D

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 19:56 »
I know, I was so pleased, I was beginning to think she would never lay again!! Something special about finding an egg!!!! :D :D

SamnElla

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 20:22 »
Mavis, my Marans, started laying again on Monday after her winter break
It must be their time of year !
It's all good in da wood

Abacus

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 20:39 »
This is a hens mating submissive posture.  They squat (crouch down) with their wings held out stiffly with their tail up inviting a cock to mount them.  If there's no cock they will see you as the surrogate cock.  It shows they are sexually mature and are laying, or preparing to lay.  Usually a cock will trigger this behaviour by treading them (placing a foot on their tails or back) pushing them down,  When the hens squats the cock will jump on their back and grasp their hackles with their beaks high up on their heads to mate with them.

It's perfectly natural behaviour for a mature hen.
HF

Oh great so I'm the honorary cockerel as well as honorary tomcat to our cats.. and there is the OH as well - sometimes its like having seven wives around here ;-)
TTFN Jim
House Husband (Certified)
! Barnvelder Cockerel
1 Welsummer
1 Welsummer mix
1 Salmon Favorella
4 Rhodie Hybrids

xx
the Crouching chickens

Started by Sideshoot on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 28, 2011, 19:16
by bantam novice
xx
crouching hens

Started by parsleypig on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post November 25, 2008, 15:07
by Sarah Mitchell

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 28 queries.