Redcurrant

• 12 Replies

billathome65

• Experienced Member
Redcurrant
« on: March 01, 2011, 16:14 »
Hi I just picked up to healthy looking Red Current canes can they go into ordinary multi purpose soil with fertilizer or do they need acid soil???

Ta Bill
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 16:21 by Ice »
The best way to learn to do something is to do something.

Ma and Pa Snip

Re: Redcurrant
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 16:28 »
I picked up a redcurrent and a blackcurrent bush on monday Bill, both are going straight in the ground with a sprinkling of Fish, Blood & Bone.

Unless otherwise stated it can be assumed ALL posts are by Pa Snip

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 16:36 »
Thanks thought it could go straight in I'm thinking Spacings  Raspberry, Redcurrant, Raspberry Redcurrant, as I have two Raspberries already in or would you suggest 2 Raspberries together 2 Redcurrants together?

Bill

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 16:45 »
I'd keep your raspberries well away from any fruit bushes as they have a habit of thrusting up new canes quite a way from their original site.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Ma and Pa Snip

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 17:03 »
I'd keep your raspberries well away from any fruit bushes as they have a habit of thrusting up new canes quite a way from their original site.

I'd love to be able to give a good spacing between my raspberry canes and  everything else, unfortunately we don't have the luxury of space.  I keep my eyes open and remove any growth that pops up away from the main canes, by digging it out with a decent bit of root on if possible then popping it back in the ground where I want it to be.

If it takes it takes, if it doesn't then so be it.  Given their determination for life, most take.

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 21:01 »
Ill be putting them here

so shouldn't be to much of an issue for new canes.

Would you do rasp red rasp red or just plant between the rasps?

Bill

sion01

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 21:15 »
Don't know about the spacing but make sure theyve got a good supply of potash.Potash=flowers.flowers=fruit.Sulphate of potash if your not organic poultry manure,fish meal or wod ash if you are organic

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 21:39 »
I got a redcurrant at the weekend, sprinkled a bit of BFB around it, it is also in a bed with 15 rasberries, i will let you know how it gets on :)
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 09:40 »

Would you do rasp red rasp red or just plant between the rasps?

Bill

I'd keep all the raspberries together and then vertically bury a piece of corrugated plastic or similar barrier to a depth of around 18" to stop them suckering up amongst the adjacent redcurrants.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 19:55 »
And to answer the original question, currants aren't overly fond of acidic soil, just neutral is fine. And like others, I'd not recommend interplanting currants with raspberries as both will suffer from roots, air and light competition - once going, both are vigorous growers.

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 20:52 »
I'll just throw my tuppence worth in.

I see you have already planted the raspberries, if they're not in long, i would move the one on the right and stick the two raspberries in the corner,  let them take over the corner.
They will thrive in a bit of shade.

Then stick the redcurrants where they will probably get more light for ripening.

Visually, the raspberries will be taller so will look better balanced too. (these things are important to me!)

Personally i'd bring the redcurrants back and change them for more raspberries. Unless you eat a lot of redcurrant jelly, there's not much you can do with them except use as a garnish.

Raspberries are far more versatile. They are also possibly the most cost effective crop you can grow. They are always expensive to buy, even when in season because they are so difficult to harvest commercially.

Raspberry vodka is just one bonus!
Liv.

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 21:11 »
I agree - I grow a lot of redcurrants and I will be the first to admit that there is indeed only so much to do with them. But they are nice!

Raspberries  - yes, ridiculously expensive and tastless in the shops and a real treasure to grow....

and raspberries (and redcurrants come to mention it) eaten straight from the freezer (with melted white chocolate poured over) is one of life's great pleasures.

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 21:13 »
I have got 15 rasberries and 1 redcurrant, i am only growing the redcurrant to use it as pectin for the jam i will be making :D

xx
redcurrant

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 31, 2011, 19:16
by sunshineband
xx
redcurrant

2 Replies
Last post March 28, 2012, 15:56
by mdjlucan
xx
redcurrant

2 Replies
Last post November 02, 2011, 07:28
by mdjlucan
xx
redcurrant

5 Replies
Last post December 09, 2011, 23:01
by bazh

Page created in 0.435 seconds with 28 queries.