Started moulting Oct but still got bald patches?

• 2 Replies

SamT

Started moulting Oct but still got bald patches?
« on: March 01, 2011, 14:23 »
My chickens started moulting back in Oct and they only lost a few feathers in certain areas. However, they still haven't grown back and are bald underneath still. I can see that they have grown new feathers elsewhere as they have changed colour slightly but will the rest of the feathers grow back underneath?  I am not too worried as I am sure it will keep them cooler in summer but just wondered why its taking so long?

compostqueen

Re: Started moulting Oct but still got bald patches?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 14:34 »
Mine are looking tatty at the moment as they've been moulting, for quite a while too. Nothing to worry about so long as you're feeding them properly.  The moult can take a fair bit out of them and they need good grub to sustain them as they use more energy moulting and trying to keep warm at the same time. 

Mine are on good quality layers pellets and they get green veg every day, grass to graze on, and they've just had some salad  :)  I give them poultry spice to help them through the moult (as per the instructions on the tin)  This is a mixture of spices and is perfectly natural and is used by poultry keepers and pigeon fanciers and those showing their birds
Mine also get dried mealworms occasionally

8doubles

Re: Started moulting Oct but still got bald patches?
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 15:52 »
Some hens stay naked on the breast and belly permanently especially if they are inclined to be broody. They always seem to get the rest of the feathers to cover in cold weather so nothing to worry about. :)

xx
Bald patches?

Started by Blandy on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 03, 2009, 23:07
by Blandy
xx
bald patches

Started by vic_eloise on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 14, 2009, 00:27
by vic_eloise
xx
Bald patches

Started by SuzyQ on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post March 26, 2013, 08:26
by SuzyQ
xx
Bald patches

Started by ycholmes on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 06, 2010, 13:58
by Casey76

Page created in 1.313 seconds with 28 queries.