Broad bean help needed.

• 24 Replies

Ruby Red

Broad bean help needed.
« on: February 25, 2011, 16:38 »
I went to the local garden centre yesterday and they had broad bean plants for sale. As I am desperate to get something in the veg patch, can I plant these (and when will they be ready) or can I now plant the seeds outside. thanks.
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

Lardman

Re: Broad bean help needed.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 16:55 »
You could do, although they will probably need to be hardened off first. You'll probably get beans around June/July. If you have the space you could drop a few bean seeds in some pots, I would think you'll be picking around 2 weeks behind bought plants.

As DD hasn't said it I will. Its early, the ground is cold and wet would you like to be planted now?

Ruby Red

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 17:22 »
Thanks lardman. just thought it would be ok because I know there are some broad beans that are planted back end , so theyve had to be out over the winter.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 17:32 »
I have planted some broad beans under a cloche in a raised bed just to see what happens. Maybe you could do the same?

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 17:32 »
Autumn sown plants have had time to germinate during the warmer weather and then get used to the cold. Sowing seeds into cold, wet soil is just asking them to rot.

I'll be directly sowing mine mid-late March, I find (Im sure others will say differently) the extra hassle of over wintering or starting them in pots, just for a meal 2 weeks early isn't worth it.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 17:44 »
Actually, I sowed some in modules in the cold greenhouse in January and they've been outside for about 4 days now.  I'll pop them in the plot soon.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Swing Swang

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 17:44 »
Agree with lardman on my cold, wet clay

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 17:50 »
Actually, I sowed some in modules in the cold greenhouse in January

:ohmy: I stand corrected.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 22:50 »
Actually, I sowed some in modules in the cold greenhouse in January and they've been outside for about 4 days now.  I'll pop them in the plot soon.

You know, I thought of doing that but decided broad beans would be too big for modules. What size modules are you using?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 07:13 »
You know, I thought of doing that but decided broad beans would be too big for modules. What size modules are you using?

Mine are in 3" pots - I figure that gives me a bit more leeway on planting out, as I can hold them back without too much check - little root disturbance when I knock them out too. They are out during the day now, and under cover at night.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 07:16 »
Actually, I sowed some in modules in the cold greenhouse in January and they've been outside for about 4 days now.  I'll pop them in the plot soon.

Not far off Kirsten's I think about 2 1/2", just something I had kicking around.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 07:17 by DD. »

kippers garden

• http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 07:36 »
Mine are in the cardboard toilet rolls tubes in my cold greenhouse.  I bought them in until the  first few germinated.  I sowed them at the end of Jan (Aquadulce variety).

I sowed seed direct at my allotment in Oct and not one germinated..i also sowed at the end of Oct in pots in my cold greenhouse-they never germinated either so that why i tried again in Jan....not sure if i was just unlucky or it was the seeds i used as both packets that didn't germinate were bought at the same time (unwins).

I'm determined to get broad beans this year!

bayleaf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 10:18 »
I started some in pots on january 15th. Got them out under my homemade cloche two days ago. they seem happy enough.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 14:42 »
Do you think I'd get away with sowing broad beans now, in modules or 3" pots, in my cold greenhouse? They'd be in compost rather than going into cold soil. But I should add the greenhouse isn't just not heated but not remotely frostproof either, because there's broken glass. I could maybe put some plastic propagator lids over them, at least until they germinate, but do you think they'd be warm enough to grow there? It's just that it'll be quite a lot of pots/modules and I'm keen to avoid putting anything in the house that I don't have to.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 15:21 »
I would have them indoors for a week, which will be enough time for them to germinate (if they germinate sooner move them out sooner), and then in the greenhouse thereafter. They won't hurt if they get frosted (but they will fare better in that regard than if they were in the ground - particularly if it is a wet cold). Germinating indoors will also stop the mice eating the seed compared to growing in the greenhouse - well, assuming you don't have mice in your house!  They don't need a lot of heat to germinate, don't mollycoddle them.  If you keep your central heating on "full" :nowink: then a utility corridor or something "cool" will do.

xx
broad bean

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 22, 2012, 16:32
by Potty Plotty Lotty
xx
Broad bean HELP!!

Started by Ruth Cross on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 04, 2008, 10:55
by agapanthus
xx
Broad Bean

Started by Tom Hill on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post December 17, 2012, 15:30
by Paul Plots
xx
Broad bean help

Started by DonnaP on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 30, 2010, 15:32
by DonnaP

Page created in 0.502 seconds with 28 queries.