Farmgate layers pellets

• 24 Replies

Madrat

• Experienced Member
Farmgate layers pellets
« on: February 25, 2011, 16:21 »
I have just changed my girls onto this from the ex battery crumb, they seam to like it and there is no mess anymore but I have seen on a few forums that people don't recommend them, they report finding plastic in the pellets  :ohmy:  has any one on here had any problems with this brand?

gibbo

• Experienced Member
Re: Farmgate layers pellets
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 16:30 »
I have not found any nasties in my farmgate layers pellets...yet!  But you have got me wandering now! Look forward to what others say.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 16:35 »
I fed this when we had girls, none currently. We also sell it at work and I have never heard of any such complaint, or any complaint for that matter... :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Madrat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 19:44 »
I've not noticed anything in mine so far but it just got me wondering.

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 21:19 »
I've used Farmgate pellets for ages - and I've never noticed any plastic or other foreign bodies in them.   :)
"The chicken came first—God would look silly sitting on an egg."

— Author Unknown

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 22:55 »
I got my girls on these as they sell them over the road  :)  My girls seem to like them more than the more expensive ones they've been on.  I have not noticed anything untoward in them at all

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 00:09 »
My lot are on these, they made it obvious they didn't like another brand so I started them on this, much happier and no problems with extra bits, (hopefully I would have noticed)

hillfooter

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 00:35 »
I have just changed my girls onto this from the ex battery crumb, they seam to like it and there is no mess anymore but I have seen on a few forums that people don't recommend them, they report finding plastic in the pellets  :ohmy:  has any one on here had any problems with this brand?

Well I think this is nonsense Farmgate is made by BOCM Paul's the biggest name in animal feeds in the UK.  I've used Spillers Layers pellets for over 10 years without ever seeing any such problem.

Basically pellets are exactly the same as mash apart from being forced through a die under pressure and heated by steam to form the pellets.  Pellets are prefered particularly by small scale keepers as they suit ad lib systems better than mash.  They are much more hygienic since spillage can be more easily cleaned up and the chx will eat them off the ground.  They also flow better through gravity feeders so can be left in ad lib feeders without absorbing moisture and clogging.  They can thus be left out undercover if you ever are away over night.  Mash is more suited to ration feeding in troughs.

So pellets should be the feed of choice for hobbists.
HF

« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 18:06 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

Madrat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 14:04 »
I thought this must be a mistake, as I said my girls love them and at £7.50 a bag they are fantastic value  :)

Helenaj

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 14:32 »
I've just swapped to these - my local feed supplier sells them for £6.00 a bag - a third cheaper than the old feed I was using.

uba

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 08:10 »
I have used farmgate layers right from the start and found no problems with them so I dont plan to change. £7.50 from my local supplier
Two wrongs don't make a right but three lefts do.

Geo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 10:43 »
I use farmgate mash and no problems with any nasty bits. My lot love it better than the old mash I used.

tiptopchickendon

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 11:07 »
I thought this must be a mistake, as I said my girls love them and at £7.50 a bag they are fantastic value  :)

£7.50   :ohmy: £5.50 here

Girls have been on them for about a year now and no complaints, only thing i have noticed about them is the size of the pellets, which have increased in size quite abit in the last couple of bags.

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 11:20 »
I normally pay about 7 quid but I got my last bag free cause I helped the pet shop guy move his pigeon loft and next time I went in I got free pellets. nice of him I thought  :D
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 11:50 »
The only problems I get with Farmgate are occasionally there are clumps of food in the bag rather than free running pellets, which I have to throw as they won't go through the feeder properly,  never found anything else in them though and have used them for years.

xx
Farmgate's rearer pellets?

Started by mohs.ayaz on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 16:43
by Sparkyrog
xx
farmgate pellets now contain gmo ingredients

Started by toasted on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 26, 2013, 20:07
by Aunt Sally
xx
Which layers pellets?

Started by OpiumEater on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post December 21, 2011, 20:41
by ANHBUC
xx
....as well as layers pellets?

Started by KathyH on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post August 13, 2007, 18:38
by KathyH

Page created in 0.384 seconds with 28 queries.