Lets start afresh

• 16 Replies

billathome65

• Experienced Member
Lets start afresh
« on: February 19, 2011, 19:31 »
I have had a number of PM's and also so comments her asking me to stick around as I said I was not going anywhere however I was looking just to read posts but because of the support I will give this another go.

SO!

I baught an aple tree today to be honest I was after a peach tree but as my daughter was rushing me to go decorate I picked up the tree by mistake..

The tree is a Jonagold which I believe is not self pollinating ( Sterile ) and I don't think there is another apple tree in our local area I may be wrong?

Anyway I was after the plum tree to go in the big planter I have as I am not sure if I will get any fruit of this and as I am not sure it will go well in a planter I'm thinking about probably taking it somewhere and planting it wild as I only want productive plants in the garden.

What do you lot think???

Also I bought two more Raspberry bushes Mailing promise? which I can plant with the other one I planted last week I see it is ok in partial shade is it a late producer too?

I picked up a Blueberry cane too ( Patriot? ) again partial shade OK and Late producer??

and lastly

Black Current Ribes Nigrum Ojebyn? again Shade tolerant and late producer?? 

Any more information on these would be great and also If the Tree is a lost cause which of the Berry bushes would be most suited to the planter?

Cheers Bill

The best way to learn to do something is to do something.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Lets start afresh
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 20:00 »
Jonagold is self-sterile, a triploid, so needs two other trees to pollinate it I believe.  Anything within a 1/4 radius may well do the trick.  If you're sure there's nothing (apple or crab apple) then you are unlikely to get any fruit.

Raspberries.  Malling Promise is a summer-fruiting variety.  What types of raspberries do you currently have?  I would not advise growing the summer and autumn fruiting varieties together as it will be a nightmare to prune them separately yet properly.

Blueberry Patriot fruits July - August and is an early-mid season variety.  Blueberries are indeed partial shade tolerant although crop better in sun.  Don't forget the need for acidic soil, so if you don't have that, this would be a good plant to put in your planter.  Are there any other blueberries around to aid pollination?

I am not familiar with the blackcurrant variety.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 20:49 »
Hi Yorkie thanks for the advice Short of sneaking into peoples gardens in the local area I am afraid I do not know if there are any blueberries round or any apple trees I have not seen any but I tend to drive past so it may be an Idea to get another Blueberry Bush will they both sit OK in the large planter?

The other Raspberry is a Polka

BTW so you would suggest go plant the apple tree somewhere else I could put it in the front of the house but it don't seem worth it. lesson learnt read labels and don't be distracted. LOL 

Cheers Bill
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 20:54 by billathome65 »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 20:58 »
Polka is an autumn-fruiting variety so I would grow them in separate locations.

How big is the planter?  I suspect that two bluberries will not thrive together unless it really is big.

I'd give the apple tree a go unless you really don't have room for it.  I'd have thought you'll get pretty blossom from it, and after a few years you'll know whether it will also fruit.

Ma and Pa Snip

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 21:13 »
If you live in town suburbs there is a fair chance of there being another apple tree nearby, just hope their is enough bees and suchlike in the area for pollination purposes.

As yorkie has suggested keep the raspberries away from the existing later fruiting one so you can prune properly, and although it might sound daft, mark which is which !!

Blueberries I know sweet nothing about, but I would guess that yorkie is right about them needing good root space.
I notice there is a Blue Bell Avenue in Moston but no Blueberry Hill in the Manchester area  :D so no idea what your chances of pollination are.

I always thought current bushes needed sun so am about to learn something as well hopefuly.

Unless otherwise stated it can be assumed ALL posts are by Pa Snip

impossible5072

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 21:17 »
Hi Bill

I dont know whether this helps or whether you have the room but I bought 3 trees when I got mine a bramley a jonagold and a cox, and it was all to get my bramleys, but I got them all for less than a 5.00 each from pound stretcher, I thought they would be rubbish but got an apple last year first year in.  As I said dont know whether this helps or not but have seen them else where for such a lot of money thought I would tell you.  B

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 21:19 »
To be honest The space I have is not beneficial for hitch hikers so if it can't pull its weight Ill get rid The planter is quite large but I am OK if I need to get another planter if it needs another to pollinate. The packaging has no instructions on them whatsoever so I have no Idea what soil types these need I know the Raspberrys need good drainage what about the Blueberry? the planter has holes near the bottom so drainage is ok for that

I googled  put the Blackcurrant and got some good feedback on it but it does not say what soil type it needs typical  :D

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 21:26 »
If you live in town suburbs there is a fair chance of there being another apple tree nearby, just hope their is enough bees and suchlike in the area for pollination purposes.

As yorkie has suggested keep the raspberries away from the existing later fruiting one so you can prune properly, and although it might sound daft, mark which is which !!

Blueberries I know sweet nothing about, but I would guess that yorkie is right about them needing good root space.
I notice there is a Blue Bell Avenue in Moston but no Blueberry Hill in the Manchester area  :D so no idea what your chances of pollination are.

I always thought current bushes needed sun so am about to learn something as well hopefuly.

Your not going to believe this I was taking them back outside and have just dropped them they came out the box and I don't know which is the Blueberry and which is the blackcurent  All I can say is one is a cane and the other is twiggy. I am a real Numpty today  :blush: :blush:

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 21:30 »
To be honest The space I have is not beneficial for hitch hikers so if it can't pull its weight Ill get rid The planter is quite large but I am OK if I need to get another planter if it needs another to pollinate. The packaging has no instructions on them whatsoever so I have no Idea what soil types these need I know the Raspberrys need good drainage what about the Blueberry? the planter has holes near the bottom so drainage is ok for that

I googled  put the Blackcurrant and got some good feedback on it but it does not say what soil type it needs typical  :D

Thanks for the information unfortunately I have limited space It only cost me £3.99 but hey we live and learn  8)

Bill

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 21:48 »
There aren't many plants which enjoy being waterlogged (except bog-plants); blueberries aren't quite that moisture-loving but must not be allowed to dry out; most of all they need acidic soil (usually ericaceous compost.)

They are self-fertile, but do better if there is another variety with a similar flowering time growing nearby (if you happen to be growing yours where there are lots of others then there is probably no need to bother, but I wouldn't think that's very likely in this country!)

Identification-wise, I would guess that the more twiggy plant is the blueberry.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 21:58 »
There aren't many plants which enjoy being waterlogged (except bog-plants); blueberries aren't quite that moisture-loving but must not be allowed to dry out; most of all they need acidic soil (usually ericaceous compost.)

They are self-fertile, but do better if there is another variety with a similar flowering time growing nearby (if you happen to be growing yours where there are lots of others then there is probably no need to bother, but I wouldn't think that's very likely in this country!)

Identification-wise, I would guess that the more twiggy plant is the blueberry.  :)

Thanks JayG I will pick up another Blueberry tomorrow ( ericaceous compost?? ) as for the Blackcurrant all I could find out about current bushes is they are hardy and are OK in shaded and damp soil and this quote

"As long as the soil is reasonably good quality and not alkaline they will usually do well."So I am assuming they will be OK in ordinary topsoil?

Cheers Bill

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 22:07 »
Re: blueberries, have a look at this thread Bill:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=71211.msg812401#msg812401

I know next to nowt about blackcurrants, although I don't think they have any real "special requirements" (others might have a better idea!)

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 22:44 »
I just checked the link and I'm a little worried the planter I have may not be big enough?

I think it's 48in it had a large Yucca in and I only transplanted the Yucca so I could make use of the pot.

I'm actually thinking now dig up the Blackberry bush that aint doing to well and plant the  Blueberry bush in it's place with a load of that  ericaceous compost and put the  blackcurrant in the planter instead decisions decisions. :unsure: :unsure:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 22:57 »
Despite finishing up something like 4-5' tall and maybe 3-4' across (it depends on variety) blueberries are quite slow growing so you should have a few years before having to make too many decisions!

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 23:21 »
Found this video on Youtube. he puts a few Blueberries in the same size planter as me. See what you think? If I can put two in a pot then it will make things easier by not taking up to much space.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3f4_qFpd3Q&feature=related

« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 23:49 by billathome65 »

xx
Starting Afresh

Started by tallulah on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 18, 2012, 07:18
by Growster...
xx
lets talk about compost's

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 06, 2021, 11:03
by Subversive_plot
xx
Lets Celebrate Our Achievements

Started by plot36 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 04, 2008, 20:19
by plot36
xx
A little start...

Started by littlelisa on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 02, 2008, 10:37
by Scribbler

Page created in 0.604 seconds with 32 queries.