Who's shed is it?

• 40 Replies

digalotty

Re: Who's shed is it?
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 23:13 »
if you have officially sighned and took over the plot then the shed is yours.   as aunty has stated if he did not move it before his tennancy ended then he has no claim on the shed and i would go as far as saying he is trespassing if he goes on the lotty without concent
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

carol2711

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 06:28 »
Wow...thank you everyone for your advice. To answer a few questions raised: there is no agreement to sign, it's rather casual here, Mr. Potter just took me to the allotment and I looked and said yes. He had no name or number of the previous tenant. He said he'd only met him once when he paid his rent.! I have changed the padlock.
Some of your suggestions are a bit extreem!!!! Burning it??? :unsure:
I've been awake since 5.30am getting cross about it, I don't like confrontations, especially as the previous tenant was force to give it up because he had a stroke. Maybe I shouldn't be so tight a just pay the £50.
Thank you for the responces I'll keep using this site....it's quite good fun. :)

Ma and Pa Snip

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 08:13 »
And unfortunately for Carol thereby hangs the tale, there is no agreement. Other than a verbal conversation with a 'Mr Potter'.

This is sadly one of those cases where people have pronounced judgement/given advice based upon the normal agreements attached to renting an allotment.

Carols right about one thing, some of these suggestions have been towards the extreme and I'm not sure they were all made 'tongue in cheek'.

Best go back to Mr Potter and ask if the shed was there when the previous tenant took on the plot. But as you appear to have no security of tenure yourself I would tread very carefully if you wish to retain what verbal agreements you have to use the land.

Unless otherwise stated it can be assumed ALL posts are by Pa Snip

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 08:22 »
Can you clarify who owns your allotments, please Carol, it may help.

You'll notice that the "extreme" post is no longer with us. Behind the scenes work and all that.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2011, 08:46 »
text removed by moderator
As far as I can see and I don't have an allotment what these guys say seems to hit the nail on the head. It's been there for months when it should have been moved. Check your agreement it will give those details for vacating. I'd padlock the shed and with the bench inside and stick a note up stating as it was not moved within the required time it has now become a sitting tenant and if they want the shed you want the cash for it's up keep and compensation as you have lost out on sales as it was in the way.

text removed by moderator:

Not really the kind of behaviour I would expect to see down the allotement, glad i'm not on the same site as you!
This is somebody who is probably not too happy to have to give up his plot after an illness and to be confronted with a crow bar really isn't justified is it!
In my opinion I would speak to the guy if you get chance. Explain that you was told by Mr Potter that the shed & bench came with the plot & that he has had since October. If I was you I would take the note down & leave a mobile No. for him to contact you so that it can be delt with amicably. But that's just me ........ not one to resort to violence!

(Edited to put new post outside the quotes)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 11:54 by joyfull »

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2011, 08:48 »
We are all hoping that Bill posted with tongue firmly implanted in cheek. If not.............

Ma and Pa Snip

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2011, 09:16 »
Sharonx's idea is sound except for the bit about leaving a mobile phone number on display, it'll get passed to every local idiot for miles.

Carol could give it to Mr Potter BUT he says he hasnt got a name or number to pass it on to.

TheSpartacat

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2011, 09:29 »
OK, well, you hadn't mentioned he'd had a stroke. I'd expect he has much more pressing matters on his mind than sheds, and it explains the delays.
In which case, I would take a deep breath, make a cup of tea, and roll with it. It's annoying, yes, but on the plus side, you have shelter on your plot you can use now while the weather is poor.
There's the possibility that if no-one on the plot offers to buy it, (and they haven't thus far) then it'll stay there, and he might forget about it as I'm sure its the least of his worries.

If he takes it away, just take a deep breath, make a cup of tea, and smile because you have a plot, and as we all know, the most important thing is the soil, not the shed :)  :)  :)
Freecycle is a wonderful thing! :)

PS... i sincerely doubt Bill was being serious. I think the clue is in the row of smiley faces?

savbo

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2011, 09:29 »
when we took over our new plot there was a shed on it and the secretary said the previous tenant wanted to know if we wanted to buy it...as we already had a shed we were moving up from our old plot we said no... and then previous tenant obviously decided it wasn't worth £50 to him to move it...so we ended up with 2 sheds!

Gravedigger

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2011, 11:13 »
Having just taken a new allotment that has a brand new HUGE water butt, I know these ownership issues can be tricky.  I have it in writing that I can keep the water butt and all but 3 of the flags (the previous tenant has had to retire due to health).

Also, as I am now looking for an affordable shed I know there is a dearth of them when you need one.  I'd probably make him an offer on the shed just to settle things quickly.  I'd be annoyed too but as you have nothing in writing it is probably the easiest way.

Good luck and I hope it goes well for you :)

shedsue

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2011, 11:26 »
You should have been told at the time of taking over, what was not yours and the old tenant should have been requested to move his belongings within a short period...Thats pants that >:(

gowing238

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2011, 11:47 »
If he had to give up the plot in october how is he still gaining acesss tot he site now? I
Start at the beginning, and finish at the end!!

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2011, 12:33 »
Not all sites have locked gates. Ours doesn't.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 12:39 by DD. »

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2011, 23:33 »
My sense off humour. I wouldn't hit him over the head with a crow bar.  :D :D I'd have shot him  :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: ::)

Only joking honest. :blink: :blink: :blink:

But after seeing comments referring to my post I think my sense of humour is out of place, life's to short to be serious all the time I think it might be best if I go to another Forum. Will pop back to read topics take care and enjoy your gardening.

Take care you lot.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 23:51 by billathome65 »
The best way to learn to do something is to do something.

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2011, 23:53 »
its all academic until Mr Potter clarifies......

I wait with baited breath....
Death OR Cake ???

xx
shed

Started by razzmick on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 30, 2011, 22:39
by Chrysalis
xx
Got a shed!

Started by Lynne on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 12, 2007, 13:14
by muntjac
xx
New Shed....what do you think

Started by Chappers on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 01, 2009, 09:16
by mikem
xx
Shed

Started by Novice on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post September 14, 2007, 11:10
by gregmcalister

Page created in 1.24 seconds with 29 queries.