Through route

• 4 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Through route
« on: February 14, 2011, 12:03 »
I have a 3ft hedge (lavendar and other small shrubs) on 2 sides only of my plot, and now it's winter you can clearly see the gap that the fox walks through and straight over 1 of my small beds. He digs holes there as well and last year trashed my brassica netting >:(

Is it worth me trying to block this gap off, with a fence or wire netting, so he goes round my plot? or will he just jump over or force his way through somewhere else?

Any ideas :unsure:

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Through route
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 12:15 »
I had a particular fox problem whenever I used blood, fish and bone (so much so that I had to stop using it.)

Pelleted chicken manure seems to result in a few holes as well but they do seem to work out fairly quickly that it tastes like you-know-what!

Since autumn I have had regular holes being dug, always in the same small area, and as far as I know there is nothing in there to arouse their interest at all!  :ohmy:

I have found that just laying plastic netting over planted areas seems to deter them, although if yours go round trashing brassica netting you may find that doesn't work!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 13:22 »
Is it worth me trying to block this gap off, with a fence or wire netting, so he goes round my plot? or will he just jump over or force his way through somewhere else?

Under rather than over, which will leave you with a nice big hole to deal with.  I had a problem with one here, I fenced off the area I wanted to protect and removed any barrier from the area I didn't mind it using.  For a week or so It tried to dig under the netting but after a while discovered it was easier just to go round.

I had tried to stop it completely but failed miserably, so far it seems happy to use a different path.

savbo

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 13:39 »
I thought this might be about another kind of problem - our plot is between 2 dead-end paths so it's a popular short-cut!

ex-cavator

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 18:44 »
If they want to get in I'm sure they will - they're amazing jumpers, can easily jump a 6ft fence, and one often sunbathes on the roof of my parents shed which must be 7ft high  8)

xx
Route for cucumbers

Started by Russell Atterbury on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 01, 2020, 17:41
by Russell Atterbury

Page created in 0.952 seconds with 30 queries.